January 15, 2018 ~ EDCO is excited to announce the finalists of the 2018 Awards of Excellence. The best of the best in economic development work happening across the province will be honoured and celebrated at the President's Dinner and Awards Ceremony on
Thursday, January 31, 2019 at the Sheraton Centre Toronto, the finale of the 62nd EDCO Conference & Showcase. The annual EDCO Awards program is coordinated through the EDCO Awards Committee and aims to seek advanced ideas that have the ability to become economic development best practices of the future.
This year, 98 entries were submitted from communities and organizations across Ontario. A judging panel with expertise in marketing, communications, tourism and industrial/commercial development met in Toronto in November to evaluate each entry. Entries were scored on the ability of the entries to meet their objectives and reach a target audience, use of budget and return on investment, and uniqueness. Entries were required to meet a minimum score threshold in order to be chosen for an honourable mention or award; as a result, awards are not necessarily given for every category. Alternatively, some categories may have multiple recipients. Throughout the judging process, judges were encouraged to watch for new, innovative and extraordinary initiatives to be considered for the Lieutenant Governor's Award for Economic Development Excellence (formerly known as the Best of Show Award). This year, three of the finalists initiatives were put forward; the nominees and winner will be announced at the ceremony.
Congratulations to all of the finalists! Thank you for showing outstanding leadership in the profession and elevating economic development practices in Ontario. Drum roll please...
The 2018 EDCO Awards of Excellence Finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
- #ProsperInPerthCounty, Perth County
- 2016-2017 Community Report: Where Character Meets Community, Town of Newmarket
- 2018 Canadian Country Music Awards: Host City Initiatives, Tourism Hamilton - City of Hamilton
- Bay of Quinte Discovery Guide, 5th Edition, Bay of Quinte Regional Marketing Board
- Cool Cones Crawl, Town of Minto
- Elgincentives Community Improvement Plan, County of Elgin
- EPIC 1867 - Celebrating 150 Years of Winemaking in Essex County, Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island and Essex Pelee Island Coast Winegrowers Association
- Experience North Bay - Ford World Women's Curling Championship Events, City of North Bay
- Guide to Filming in Durham Region, Regional Municipality of Durham
- Hello Tomorrow: Durham Smart Cities Forum, Regional Municipality of Durham
- Knowledge Management System, Workforce Development Board and Strexer Harrop
- Labour Force-Based Investment Attraction, Town of Innisfil and McSweeney & Asscociates
- Live Broadcast Ambassadors, Norfolk County
- Local Food Counters, United Counties of Prescott and Russel Economic Development and Tourism
- Meridian Place & Memorial Square Project, City of Barrie
- Nuclear Economic Development and Innovation Initiative (Strategic Plans), County of Bruce and Bruce Power
- Nuclear Economic Development and Innovation Initiative (Local Collaboration & Partnership), County of Bruce and Bruce Power
- Oakville's Opportunities and Investments Virtual Tour, Town of Oakville
- Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail Partnership, Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail Partners Group
- Paisley - The Artistic River Village, Bruce County
- Perth County 2018 Tourism Familiarization Tour, Perth County
- Perth County Community Profile Series North Perth, Perth East, Perth South, West Perth, Perth County
- Project Innovate: Driving Innovation in Bruce County, Corporation of the County of Bruce
- Salute to Brant Business 2018, County of Brant
- South Dundas BR+E Project, Municipality of South Dundas & MDB Insight Inc.
- StudentBiz - Developing High School Entrepreneurs, Brantford-Brant Business Resource Enterprise Centre
- Success Makers, City of Hamilton
- That's LivingCK, Municipality of Chatham-Kent - Community Attraction and Promotion
- The Mayor's Blue Ribbon Task Force on Workforce Development, 2018 Progress Report, Hamilton
- The Railway City, City of St. Thomas
- The Sounds of Guelph Video Campaign, City of Guelph - Tourism Services
- Tourism Investment Booklet, Town of Gananoque
- Train in Technology Expo, Invest Barrie - City of Barrie
- Waterloo EDC New Website - waterlooedc.ca, Waterloo EDC
- We Are The Story - Promotional Video, Town of Milton
- Where Work Meets Play - A Different Kind of EcDev Blog, Town of Newmarket
- York Link, York Regional Economic Development
This year, two communities submitted video entries for the Innovative Community of the Year Award, which is judged by voting. Almost 400 votes were received and the recipient will be announced during the awards ceremony on January 31st.
For a list of previous year's EDCO Award winners, click here.