CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full-time Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Economic and Cultural Development Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Manager, Small Business and Entrepreneurship (JOB # J0221-0583)
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, a state-of-the-art hospital opening its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, and a bustling subway, exciting projects are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
Responsible for leading and managing staff, strategies and operations related to the day-to-day and long-term planning, delivery and evaluation of relevant programs/services to help budding entrepreneurs reach start-up, and small and medium sized enterprises (SME) grow to reach their potential. Promotes entrepreneurship awareness, strengthens the innovation and commercialization eco-system, maintains strategic partnerships with senior government, business associations, Kleinberg Business Improvement Area (KBIA) and other commercial neighbourhoods, that drive corporate outcomes of economic growth, employment and investment attraction and retention. Participates in Economic Development strategies and programs; and, in co-operation with other Economic Development Staff, assists and encourages the establishment, retention and expansion of new and existing small businesses. Routinely demonstrates effective communication, collaboration, creative, critical thinking, and problem-solving knowledge, skills and attitude.
Consistent Service Delivery
- Responsible for the strategic and operational management of the Small Business and Entrepreneurship unit
- Develops and maintains relationships with other entrepreneurial and business centers, governmental agencies, educational and financial institutions, business professional groups and Vaughan Chamber of Commerce to ensure that programs are maintained in the best interest of the client, City of Vaughan and Region of York
- Manages, reviews and comments on business and marketing plans; offers general business management expertise / consultation to local businesses, with emphasis on citizens with existing businesses seeking guidance on expansion/growth opportunities
- Monitors Small Business Enterprise Centre operational performance for accuracy and effectiveness, ensuring optimum customer service, efficient and effective response times; makes recommendations and adjustments as required
- Responsible for maintaining existing projects and their budgets, and leading the conceptualization and development of new projects appropriate for the business unit
Effective Service Delivery
- Leads strategies, programs and initiatives; prepares various reports and performs associated interdepartmental and external liaison duties
- Responsible for researching, developing, coordinating, implementing and managing all proposals and projects for the various programs and services of Vaughan’s Small Business Enterprise Centre (SBEC) and its initiatives
- Thought leader: Current awareness of new trends in entrepreneurship and business
- Represents the Department and the Corporation with business clients, community leaders, government offices and agencies, academic institutions, entrepreneurship centres and other organizations as required to create valid partnerships
- Participates in Economic Development programs; and, in co-operation with other Economic Development Staff, assists and encourages the establishment, retention and expansion of new and existing small businesses
- Counsels and provides information to local entrepreneurs, investors, and small business owners
- Responsible for fundraising and identifies corporate sponsorship opportunities and works with the Director to develop appropriate programs that build partnerships with private, public, and educational institutions
- Oversees, writes, reviews, authorizes, and presents reports for programs and projects in the business unit to the Province of Ontario and City Council as needed
- Enhances the profile of the business unit internally and externally, through effective communication, collaboration, and creativity
Invest in Our People
- Assesses staffing needs; participates in the recruitment process and makes or authorizes recommendations on selection of staff
- Manages assigned staff and coordinates the work of staff including prioritization of work and guidance
- Accountable for the business unit's annual budget and multi-year business plan
- Secures resources, including funding for programs and projects from non municipal sources
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Marketing, Economic Development (or suitable equivalent), preferably with emphasis in small business or entrepreneurial studies.
- Minimum of seven (7) years management experience related to business and entrepreneurial development in private / public / not-for-profit sectors.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, team building, negotiation and mediation skills; considerable experience dealing with the public and elected officials.
- Ability to express ideas effectively, written and orally; report preparation is essential
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and written/oral communication skills. Good problem- solving skills and ability to co-ordinate resources and support activities.
- Experience in market analysis, financial planning / forecasting, budget and business plan preparation and analysis, with a strong understanding of the government programs and services, rules and regulations for starting a small business.
- Experience in marketing and public relations with a good understanding of community stakeholders.
- Experience with proposal development and implementation.
- Proficient computer skills preferably MS Office suite, CRM, and social media.
- Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability in, the City's core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
- A valid Ontario 'G' driver's license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please visit our website to apply online by Friday March 12, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.