CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full-time Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Economic and Cultural Development Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Economic Development Officer (JOB # J0221-0582)
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, a state-of-the-art hospital opening its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, and a bustling subway, exciting projects are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
Responsible for leading on-the-ground business development activities to help and support domestic and international firms in Vaughan’s emerging sectors achieve their growth potential. Works with existing companies and stakeholders, and their intermediaries, to advance economic opportunities in Vaughan.
Duties include developing and implementing economic development strategies, projects, marketing plans and programs, and representing the City’s interest in regional economic partnerships to facilitate investment and labour force retention and attraction; and interacting with business and stakeholders at a local, regional, provincial, federal and international level. Expected outcomes includes economic, business and labour force growth.
This position will champion and support the Corporate Service Excellence mandate and support the Director in moving key department initiatives forward.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Business Administration, Business Development, Marketing and Advertising, Entrepreneurship, Commerce or suitable equivalent.
- Post-Graduate degree, or diploma, or certificate in economic development, urban planning or geography is an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years proven, progressive and more responsible related work experience in Economic Development.
- Completed, or currently in-progress of completing an economic development designation from EDAC and/or IEDC is required. Organizational agility with an understanding of municipal government.
- Demonstrated experience creating programs and processes to achieve positive results.
- Demonstrated strong communication, collaboration, creative and critical thinking skills.
- Self-starter, with an ability to work independently together with extensive experience working as a member of interdisciplinary teams and staff to achieve successful results.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and foster internal and external relationships and work in partnership with City, business, labour, academic institutions, community agencies, and government.
- Strong organizational, analytical, written, and oral communication skills with a commitment and focus of customer service excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, with considerable experience successfully completing projects on time and on budget within precise constraints.
- Demonstrated ability in handling matters of a confidential and/or sensitive nature as it relates to senior business executives, Council, and other staff.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in the City’s core and leadership competencies and relevant functional competencies.
- A high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office (spreadsheet, word processing, PowerPoint) is required.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please visit our website to apply online by Tuesday March 9, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.