Economic Development Analyst
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position will provide research, data collection, data maintenance, interpretation and synthesis of information that supports Economic Development and Tourism (EDT) programs and projects. This position will assist with the advancing of economic development efforts of the community and inform the development of EDT related policies and strategic directions. This includes but is not limited to: marketing, business retention and expansion, investment attraction, downtown renewal, EDT capital projects, commercial real estate and other related projects. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Assist EDT department staff by identifying their information needs and locating and providing the relevant and available data and resources required;
- Liaise with data providers and partners such as City staff in other related departments (e.g. GIS, Planning, Community Services, Building, etc.), Statistics Canada, Conference Board of Canada, Provincial and Federal government agencies, Guelph Chamber of Commerce, University of Guelph and other economic development organizations and associations;
- Research and collect qualitative and quantitative data for EDT projects including but not limited to: industry and market intelligence, demographics, labour force, income, economic indicators, community and sector profiles, development and construction values, tax assessment values, best practices, etc.;
- Advise on and undertake procurement of additional data sets or information to further analytics capabilities of the department;
- Organize and perform regular maintenance, data entry and updates to EDT databases (e.g. CRM, business directory, business retention and expansion survey data, business data/GIS mapping);
- Establish and ensure effective data management practices are completed through the updating and indexing of data;
- Proactively scan and monitor secondary sources of information including but not limited to internet searches, social media, literature reviews, media, trade and journal articles, best practices, etc. and disseminate relevant information to EDT staff;
- Collect, analyze and interpret information from surveys, research forums, round tables and other primary sources;
- Work with subject matter experts to develop business and financial analysis, policy reviews and assist in the preparation of related business cases that inform policy development and strategic direction (e.g. Parking Master Plan, Downtown Implementation Strategy, etc.);
- Research and develop tools to further support economic analysis, monitoring, and/or forecasting;
- Prepare reports and presentations to senior staff, Council and stakeholders;
- Support and respond to internal and external requests for information and provide information and data for requests for information packages for investment prospects;
- Through the provision of data, assist with the development and updating of marketing collaterals, annual reports, sector and community profiles, website, etc.;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in Commerce, Business Marketing, Economic Development, Economics and/or Information Studies or closely related discipline and experience in business development research and analysis, preferably in both the private and public sectors. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- An affiliation with Economic Development Council of Ontario, Economic Development Association of Canada, Certified Marketing Research and Intelligence Association or similar would be considered an asset.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiencies in database programs (e.g. CRM Salesforce or Microsoft Dynamics) MS Office, GIS software, statistics software, spread sheets, graphs/charts and information graphics programs, (e.g. Excel, Illustrator).
- Knowledge of data collection software and database management systems and tools for storing large amounts of data.
- Knowledge and abilities in research methodologies for collecting qualitative and quantitative primary (e.g. surveys) and secondary sources information.
- Knowledge of data sets and information sources (e.g. Statistics Canada, The Conference Board of Canada, industry reports).
- Abilities to keep apprised current data sources and recommend and implement data systems as required.
- Ability to navigate internet, databases, social media and traditional sources to search for information.
- Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of public policy would be considered an asset.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proactive and self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate and work with all levels of staff, businesses and the general public.
- Exceptional judgement and political sensitivity in complex situations.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to maintain and synthesize information and respond to data requests, often with short timelines.
- Attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Manage multiple priorities and function effectively in a high volume workplace.
- Designation of EcD or CEcD is an asset.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, April 4, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.