Manager of Economic Development & Tourism:
Reporting to the Director of Planning and Development Services, the Manager of Economic Development & Tourism is accountable for providing expert advice, support, development and delivery of strategic initiatives to grow the Town of Ajax business community in alignment with Council’s strategic plan.
Job Duties Include:
- Participates in the establishment, implementation and advancing of corporate strategic priorities, goals and policy, including the formulation and implementation of the Town’s Strategic Plan, supporting the Town’s Quality Management System and sustainability initiatives
- Prepares staff reports and makes formal presentations to Committees and Council on matters of interest and matters requiring Council approval
- Responsible for the design, development, implementation and administration of the Economic Development Action Plan and annual programming
- Develop programs and services that directly target the existing business community aimed at driving expansion, employment growth and retention
- Responsible for the design and implementation of a business attraction strategy aimed at the Town’s target sectors
- Identifies tourism assets in the Town of Ajax and develop plans to increase awareness and support increased visitor traffic
- Regularly communicates and meets with key tourism stakeholders to grow collaboration
- A municipal liaison with major external economic development and tourism agencies.
- Evaluates municipal real estate needs, creating a process and framework for evaluating priorities
- Manages all real estate agreements with external parties
- Manages inquiries from potential new business investors and supports locating them in the Town of Ajax.
- Oversee and manages the section’s Operating Budget, Operating Budget Forecast, General Levy Forecast, Capital Budget and Long Range Capital Forecast
- Provides leadership, direction and motivates, coaches and guides staff, ensures that appropriate development strategies and plans are in place to develop a high performing workforce, ensures that mechanisms are in place to transfer knowledge of best practices and ensures effective team work is in place
- Builds collaborative relationships across divisions and with elected officials, leverages diversity through consultation and enhances outcomes through partnerships
- Identifies strategic initiatives based on environmental scans, future planned conditions and existing constraints
Rate of pay:
- Four-year university degree in Economic Development, Marketing, Communications, Business, Commerce or the equivalent
- Possess or plan in place to attain the Professional Economic Developer designation (EcD/CEcD)
- Project Management Certification, an asset
- Minimum 10 years progressively responsible and relevant experience with a minimum 5-7 years supervisory experience or a combination of training, education and experience deemed equivalent; Leading projects and teams, developing and implementing strategies and tactical plans, managing creative teams to convey marketing messaging and target markets, working on diverse committees and matrix teams, managing strict budgets and timelines, presenting formal and informal presentations to senior levels of management, Council, committees and other external parties
- Experience in the broader public sector, in a unionized environment, an asset.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Social Media Platforms
- Superior organization, time management and planning skills
- Strong decision making skills
- Ability to leverage technology to optimize customer service, improve individual and departmental performance and support strategic decision makings
$99,300 - $110,334 per year
This is a non-union position that works 35 hours per week. The Town offers a comprehensive benefit package with paid sick and vacation leave; plus an OMERS pension.
Deadline to apply:
Applications are accepted at www.ajax.ca/careers until 11:59 p.m. on May 14th, 2021.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources of any accommodation you may require during the process.