If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As the Director, Downtown Strategy you will be a part of the Senior Management Team in the Planning & Development Services Department and provide oversight, accountability and cross-corporate collaboration to implement the Downtown strategy. You will lead a team in this new Business Unit toward realizing the Council- approved Greater Downtown Plan with a focus on the 5 Strategic moves framework (Neighbourhoods for vibrant urban life, A green network for a healthy environment, Streets for people, Transit for all, Future-proof and innovate for the next generation). A primary focus of this role will be to lead in transforming Calgary’s downtown, encouraging private investment and development, and promoting Calgary’s future downtown to businesses, residents, investors and visitors. You will be a champion of Downtown Calgary as an attractive and safe place to live, play, work and invest. You will maintain an active speaking and networking schedule to ensure Downtown Calgary remains a high-profile focus within the community. Your leadership will inspire your team and networks to be innovative, work at the pace of business, and be nimble and flexible in approach. Primary duties include:
- Build external relationships and partnerships. Develop and sustain ongoing community and stakeholder relations with major downtown stakeholders, Civic Partners, Business Improvement Areas, Community Associations and other organizations.
- Represent the City with other orders of government to leverage and amplify City investments and strategies in the Greater Downtown Area.
- Prepare and execute business plans and operating and capital budgets that align with Council priorities and other corporate objectives while leveraging private investments where possible to further fulfill the mandate.
- Develop, implement and lead innovative governance models to carry out the delegated authority from Council. Maintain strong communication and working relationships with the Mayor’s Office, the Greater Downtown Ward Councillors and all of Council at-large.
- Explore regulatory initiatives (Land use bylaw, policies) including approvals, to encourage development enabling regulatory improvements.
- Identify and prioritize Public realm, infrastructure, and servicing investment.
- Work with internal partners to leverage how The City’s municipally owned Public lands can contribute to achieving Calgary’s Greater Downtown Plan.
- Develop appropriate organizational structures to support the required governance model and lead all recruitment efforts to appropriately staff the team with experienced team members.
- Provide oversight and be accountable for the development, marketing, evaluation, and administration, programming and capital investments of the Downtown Development Incentive Program including the budget.
- A Masters in Business Administration (MBA) or a degree in a complimentary field (for example; Business, Engineering, Planning, or related) with at least 10 years of progressively responsible management experience in a complex organization.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education will be considered.
- You are highly regarded for your well-developed political and organizational sensitivity; are driven by a dedication to serve the citizens of Calgary; and committed to our purpose of “Making life better every day” through our culture of Character, Commitment, Competence, and Collaboration.
- As a City leader, you exhibit key leadership behaviours – encouraging open communication; a collaborative working environment that empowers others to make sound decisions; ensuring a respectful, inclusive and accessible environment; and promoting employee health, safety and wellness.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Position Type: Permanent
Compensation: Director Band $155,500 - $240,000 per annum
Hours of Work: Standard 35 hour work week
Business Unit: Downtown Strategy
Location: 800 Macleod Trail SE
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Apply By: September 7, 2021
Job ID#: 3044424
Apply online at www.calgary.ca/careers