Monday, August 23, 2021
Temporary Full-time, Up to 6 Months, Union
Monday, September 6, 2021
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Economic and Creative Development Department is part of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. This department is responsible for the attraction and facilitation of new business investment, and helping employers access the business opportunities of the area. They encourage and promote the creation of new Barrie- based enterprises, including start-ups and small business services. They also support the retention, growth, and expansion of the City's existing businesses. This includes bringing stakeholders together on strategic programs.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Director of Economic and Creative Development, the Senior Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship Officer position is responsible for planning and implementing initiatives related to the growth of entrepreneurship, start-up businesses, innovation, and the City of Barrie's economy as a whole. Specifically, this position coordinates programs, events, workshops, and meet-ups to share tools, networks, practices, and resources that promote the growth of knowledge-based industries, innovative industries, and creative industries in Barrie. Additionally, this position collaborates with post- secondary institutions, public organizations .and private businesses to create new programs and identify and fill gaps required to create an environment of innovation and partnerships in order to grow the local business ecosystem. Overall, this position delivers both strategic and operational services that are conductive to the growth of Barrie's economy.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Four (4) year University Degree in Business, Commerce, Engineering or related discipline
- Five (5) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience working with startups and startup ecosystems and/or corporate innovation ecosystems
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing strategic and tactical plans
- Working knowledge of the following principles and standards: startup ecosystem development principles; lean startup and scale-up practices; incubation and acceleration activities; mentorship models; trends related to business innovation; data management and data analytics; content Management Software
- Demonstrated ability to:
- communicate and present information to a wide range of internal and external contacts using the appropriate medium
- communicate information and ideas in writing in a manner that can be understood by others
- develop, promote, and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- evaluate, select, and act on various methods and strategies to accomplish tasks and to meet objectives before being asked or required to do so
- generate ideas, conclusions and/or solutions utilizing reason and judgment
- interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and contacts in a political and community/client service environment
- lead and coordinate simultaneous projects with multiple stakeholder groups
- maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
- perform in a manner which is consistent with corporate goals, vision, mission, and values
- set priorities, meet deadlines and manage work demands
- think and act strategically in a political and community service environment
- verbally communicate information and ideas in a manner that can be understood by others
- work independently with minimal supervision
- work collaboratively in a group setting to achieve a desired objective, goal and/or outcome
- Intermediate skills include: Analytical; Interpersonal; Initiative; Negotiation; Presentation; Problem Solving; Project Management; Time Management; Written Communication
- Intermediate computer literacy using the following systems and software: Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, and Word), gg, social media platforms, Accela, MailChimp, Constant Contact, EventBrite, Watson Analytics, Prezi, and the Internet
- Availability to attend evening/weekend meetings or to work outside of designated normal hours per week
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing with a reliable vehicle for use on corporate business
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Other Important Information
City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario*
*Please note that some positions are currently working remotely due to the pandemic restrictions. It is anticipated that once restrictions are lifted, remote work will stop, and this position will require the employee to work at location noted above as determined by the City.
The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
This position is within the CUPE Local 2380 Bargaining Unit with the following pay level and 2021 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 9
- Yearly Salary: $72,581.60 to $86,923.20 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $39.88 to $47.76 per hour
The Application Process
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting TC-21-29 – Senior Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship Officer (Temporary FT, Up to 6 Months) in the subject line (MS Word or pdf format only) to email Hire.Me@Barrie.ca by Monday, September 6, 2021.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: F
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Personal information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) for the purpose of candidate selection.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing Hire.Me@Barrie.ca.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.