Digital Service Squad Team Member, Executive Services Department
The Town of Milton is accepting applications for the temporary full-time position of Digital Service Squad (DSS) Team Member. Reporting to the MEV Innovation Centre Coordinator (Digital Service Squad Administrator) this position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service while assisting Milton’s small businesses increase their online and digital presence. The successful candidates must be able to work variable hours including evenings and weekends.
The Digital Service Squad is one component of Digital Main Street, an initiative that supports the growth of main street small businesses by helping them gain skills and adopt digital tools and technology.
As a member of the Digital Service Squad, you will be a key contributor to the success of the platform and the growth of the program as a whole. The focus of this role is to work one-on-one (in-person and/or virtually) with small businesses.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Conduct pre-business visit research to best understand businesses and their current online presence.
- Set up appointments and/or go door-to-door to onboard small businesses to the Digital Main Street platform.
- Walk through the on-boarding survey with the business owner and use appreciative inquiry methods to best understand their business goals and how digital tools/technology can assist them in meeting their goals.
- Walk through the Digital Assessment and recommendations with the business owner.
- Assist the business owner in identifying their first priorities and the first digital tools/technology they want to activate.
- Review vendor recommendations made through the platform and lead the business owner to relevant deals/discounts on the platform.
- Activate and implement free, easy-to-use digital tools and technologies that businesses would like to use (i.e., activating social media accounts, building a basic website, supporting the set-up of an e-commerce store, etc.).
- As needed, provide resources (articles, links, how-to guides, webinars) available through secondary sources that can help the business owner learn more about a particular tool that has been activated, or subject matter of interest.
Reporting and Feedback:
- Complete field notes and report on a weekly basis to the Digital Service Squad Administrator.
- Attend team meetings as set out by the DSS Administrator.
- Ensure ALL DATA is entered on time and accurately.
- Halfway through the employment term, a performance evaluation will be conducted.
- Lead the implementation of special projects and/or community-wide initiatives (i.e. Google 360 photography).
- Work with the DSS Administrator to ensure successful activation of initiatives and increased Digital Main Street engagement.
- Help business owners develop their Digital Transformation Plan needed to apply for the Digital Transformation Grant, and subsequently help to implement the plan if approved for the Grant.
- Enrolled in or completed a college diploma or university degree in a related field
- One (1) year of experience in a sales or marketing environment is considered an asset
- Strong communications skills (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building/relationship management skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to travel to and work independently (or remotely) with local businesses
- Familiar with digital technologies for small business (e.g., web, social media, e-commerce, etc.)
- Able to use basic software and collaboration tools such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) and Slack
- Previous experience with online and offline marketing is considered a strong asset
- Previous experience working with small businesses is considered an asset
The DSS Team Member may be required to attend workshops and events related to Digital Main Street. There may be other duties, as required, that will be discussed with the DSS Team Member should they arise.
The DSS Team Member will have the opportunity to interface directly with the Downtown Milton BIA, Milton Chamber and the Digital Main Street corporate partners. All successful candidates will receive training on the program and if applicable, from the corporate partners, prior to in-field deployment. The majority of the DSS Team Member’s time will be spent working in the field or virtually with the businesses (subject to local health regulations and recommendations).
Hourly rate: (Under Review)
Interested applicants should apply online at www.milton.ca under the Careers section by 11:59 pm on September 14, 2021.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation, applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used strictly for candidate selection.