The City of Orillia has an opening for a full-time position of Economic Development Project Manager in the Business Development, Culture and Tourism Department.
- Coordination of the Downtown Tomorrow Community Improvement Grant Program pre-consultations, presentations, public meetings, and marketing activities.
- Support the development and implementation of programs, business plans and project/funding proposals which will influence companies to locate in the City of Orillia.
- Organize and manage an ongoing business retention and expansion program through scheduled meetings with key commercial, industrial and institutional business leaders as well as major employers to gather intelligence and identify opportunities to support the growth of existing businesses.
- Organize and manage a business development/inward investment program to identify, target, and reach out to potential major employers who may be interested in locating in Orillia. This includes becoming proficient in use of CRM software such as Salesforce.
- Develop and manage the implementation of strategies which support and encourage the expansion, retention and diversification of existing business sectors in support of continued commercial, industrial and institutional growth within City limits.
- Maintain an inventory of employment lands and ensure availability of suitable sites for major employers, as well as compile and maintain comprehensive market data on Orillia and develop marketing materials and “sales pitches” relevant to employers that would be a good fit with Orillia’s economic profile.
- Act as a key interface between the business community and the City administration to identify opportunities, solve problems, gather data, and maintain positive relationships with City departments and Council. This may include presentations at events, agency meetings and/or to visiting delegations, as well as preparing reports, presentations and recommendations for Council Committee.
- Respond to business and investment inquiries and coordinate municipal assistance in a manner that fosters a positive reputation for Orillia as a place to do business.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local business community groups and neighbouring economic development officials.
- Analyze and interpret business, economic and social trends that affect economic development initiatives in both the City of Orillia and neighbouring communities.
- Research, author and edit social media and web content for the City’s Business Development social media channels and webpages.
- Attend and represent the City at community meetings, trade shows and other marketing and business events.
- Post-secondary education in Economic Development, Commerce, Marketing, Business Administration (MBA considered an asset) or a related discipline.
- Two to three years of experience in economic development in the public sector or related field.
- Above average knowledge of communications, marketing, social media tools, and web content creation.
- Economic Development Certification (Ec.D.) or working towards certification would be preferred.
- Membership in the Economic Developers Council of Ontario (EDCO) the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) is required.
- Comprehensive understanding of the operations of local and senior governments as it effects the economic development profession.
- Proven project management experience.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office Suite, including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe, and Salesforce.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to establish partnerships with clients and stakeholders and communicate with Council and partners.
- A strategic thinker with persuasive presentation and writing skills.
- Must possess a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle.
- A current and acceptable Criminal Record Check is required for this position at the incumbent’s expense, prior to the commencement date.
Compensation for this position is $73,651 to $86,161 pursuant to the salary schedule for Exempt employees for a 35 hour work week, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants are invited to submit their application by October 12th, 2021 at noon.
Applications will only be accepted by applying online. Please visit https://careers.orillia.ca/
We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5 or call 705-325-1311.