Req ID: 19320
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 10/20/2021
The Economic Development Office Digital Technologies Business Consultant is responsible for implementing an Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Sector Program that helps grow the sector in Mississauga. Working directly with technology companies and other relevant stakeholders, the Business Consultant will improve local business outcomes; encourage stakeholder connections and increase business competitiveness to grow a cohesive local ICT ecosystem including emerging subsectors like cybersecurity, AI, IoT, block chain, edge computing, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager, Business Investment and Sector Development, and as a key member of the Economic Development Office team, you will provide leadership and support to the Economic Development Office in the implementation of Mississauga's annual work-plans. This includes a series of programs that will grow Mississauga's ICT cluster, including:
- Develop a local industry council that will guide you on what to prioritize in annual budget based sector work-plans.
- Act as client relationship manager, consulting with sector clients on a confidential basis with a high degree of tact and professionalism. Provide advice and assistance to companies, enhance business networks and act as an occasional project manager.
- Design and deliver presentations to stakeholder groups including business leaders, other orders of government, regulatory bodies and industry associations.
- Support EDO’s Investment Services Team, in attracting, retaining and expanding businesses in Mississauga
- Develop and implement marketing plans that elevate Mississauga’s prominence in Canada’s Innovation Corridor.
- Recommend, plan and coordinate the City's participation in domestic and international conferences, tradeshows, and promote Mississauga’s ICT Cluster to national and international businesses, delegations and other audiences.
Skills and Qualifications
- Computer science and information technology degrees, relevant business degree or related post-secondary education in technology related disciplines, business or relevant business experience
- Excellent business acumen, ability to work independently and as a team player
- Demonstrates strong written, verbal and presentation (communications) skills
- Those who possess a minimum of three years’ experience in the ICT sector are preferred. Successful candidates will have demonstrated an ability to achieve performance targets and work in a high-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Experience in analyzing sector data, companies and industries; leading options assessments and making sector specific policy recommendations; and experience in the successful implementation of a multiyear strategy are considered valuable assets.
- May require travel and in person meetings.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 82,049.00 - $ 109,400.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: P&B/Planning & Building Dept , P&B/Economic Dev Office , Business Invest & Client Services
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
As per the City’s Employee and Volunteer COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.