Small Business Consultant
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2021
Job Number: TC-21-52
Job Type: Temporary Full-time, Up to 1 Year, Union Position
Closing Date: Thursday, December 2, 2021
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Economic and Creative Development Department is part of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. This department is responsible for the attraction and facilitation of new business investment, and helping employers access the business opportunities of the area. They encourage and promote the creation of new Barrie-based enterprises, including start-ups and small business services. They also support the retention, growth, and expansion of the City's existing businesses. This includes bringing stakeholders together on strategic programs.
The Small Business Centre is a partnership between the City of Barrie and the Province of Ontario delivering a wealth of small business support services to current and aspiring entrepreneurs through the pre-start up to growth stages of business development. Reporting to the Manager of the Small Business Centre, the Small Business Consultant position provides front line customer service and information/guidance/support/referral to
individuals and groups who are investigating starting a small business, in the start-up process of a new venture, or currently in business less than 5 years. In addition, the Small Business Consultant is responsible for scheduling, designing and delivering seminars on various business-related topics; networking with other community members and organizations in order to promote the Small Business Enterprise Centre; and supporting the day-to-day office operations.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive,Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Three (3) year University Degree in Business Administration or related discipline
- Three (3) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements for business start-ups in Ontario
- Working knowledge of current government financial supports available to businesses, with particular emphasis on COVID-19 relief measures
- Knowledge of business principles (accounting, marketing, finance, planning and sales (including e- commerce) in order to advise and provide information on a broad range of business related questions Knowledge and experience in developing and critiquing business plans
- Research, analytical, and organizational skills in order to gather business information and data in addition to the creation and presentation of seminars
- Effective verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Ability to think and act responsibly in a political and community based business service environment
- Computer literacy utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint), major online meeting platforms, and the ability to skillfully manage database information related to client data management
Conditions of Employment
(*Please note that this is a requirement of the position for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees will be grandfathered from this requirement.)
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing with a reliable vehicle to us on corporate business
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
Other Important Information
Location: City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario
Hours: The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Wage: This position is within the CUPE Local 2380 Bargaining Unit with the following pay level and 2021 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 5
- Yearly Salary: $54,017.60 to $64,682.80 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $29.68 to $35.54 per hour
Benefits: This position includes single health and dental benefits, prorated paid sick time based on the expected duration of employment, and prorated vacation time based on calendar year and in accordance with the Employment Standards Act.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: E
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing HR.Recruitment@Barrie.ca.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.