City of Guelph
Manager, Tourism and Destination Development
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will provide visible and positive leadership to staff that creates a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating. Reporting to the General Manager, Economic Development and Tourism, the position will lead tourism services through integrated programs and activations, delivery of visitor information services, further destination development and grow partnerships in the community that support tourism. Additionally, the candidate will oversee the operations of/and or support the operator of the Guelph Farmers’ Market and its opportunities for growth. With the newly implemented Municipal Accommodation tax, the Manager will have oversight and responsibility of the programming including the relationship of the Destination Marketing Organization. Two additional staff will be hired to assist is the implementation of this program.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
Hours of work
35 hours per week, generally Monday to Friday, with some occasional evenings and weekends, including on call support for events and programs along with potentially regular farmers’ market operating days.
- Recruit, train and lead staff, establish and monitor performance and development plans, provide coaching and discipline as required.
- Develop goals and objectives for the area, set action plans to achieve them; align goals with the Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Grow relationships with the community and users
- Align goals and objectives with the Economic Development and Tourism Strategy
Department & Financial Management
- Develop and monitor capital and operating budgets, track actual performance against budgets, provide financial forecasts, report on variances and mitigating strategies
- Ensure compliance with Collective Agreements, City policies, Council resolutions/by-laws and other applicable federal and provincial legislation; support all legislated inspection and safety programs.
- Recommend and prepare staff reports and presentations for Council and executive teams, as required by the General Manager. Speak at Council as required.
- Manage strategic development of Tourism Services, summary of task included:
- Lead the Tourism Advisory Board providing reports and feedback to staff and council as indicated within Tourism framework
- Develop and manage the internal and external communication plan for Tourism Services, managing websites and social media accounts, ensuring detail and high quality of information
- Develop the annual destination marketing plan by conducting research and analysis, and which builds and maintains brand awareness. In conjunction with the DMO
- Identify opportunities and lead tourism product development initiatives that drive local tourism sector growth and support the Regional Tourism Organization 4 (RTO4) goals and the regional marketing plan, such as the Sports Tourism sector.
- Cultivate and maintain key partnerships to enhance and develop tourism in the Guelph Wellington region, including networking with tourism operators, industry leaders, community stakeholders and government partners.
- Research and prepare grant applications, and assist with sport and other aligned tournament bids when required, and in collaboration with DMO and other City Departments
- Ensure the provision of excellent customer service to all potential and confirmed Tourism Partners; respond in a timely manner to all inquiries.
- Track industry performance at all levels and monitor trends, opportunities and bench marks.
Farmers Market – This responsibility is under review and is subject to Change
- Manage Guelph Farmer’s Market, summary of tasks include:
- Currently the role is oversight of the implementation of the 10C programing ensuring the the GFM’s continues as per council direction.
- Manage the Farmers Market, identify efficiencies, and ensure high quality of operations and service.
- Liaise with current and prospective clients (vendors) of the Farmers Market, foster relationships within the community, assist with development of continued use
- Liaise with facility staff on the smooth operations and maintenance of the facility operations (maintenance, health and safety, repairs)
Film Office – The Film office is on hold at the moment, however this initiative could be re-ignited pending any new funding
- Develop a film Strategy
- Promote Guelph as a desirable site location for all film sectors
- Respond to and follow up on all film inquiries
- Other duties as assigned.
- duties as assigned
- Considerable knowledge and expertise related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary diploma or degree in Tourism or destination marketing or a related discipline, and considerable experience in related tourism, destination marketing and events.
- Considerable experience managing, leading and training staff in a customer first focused environment.
- Considerable experience in destination marketing and promotion; experience in multiple mediums and digital platforms.
- Demonstrative experience in fostering relationships and partnerships with businesses, a variety of local and regional agencies, city departments and community organizations
- Detailed experience with financial systems, budget forecasting, variances and financial reporting.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner; demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement and quality service.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, council and the general public.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, meeting deadlines, ability to multitask, handle fluent interruptions, as well as the ability to work under pressure.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Film industry experience may be considered asset.
- EcD designation or CEcD designation considered an asset.
- Municipal expertise is considered an asset.
In accordance with the City of Guelph’s employment practices, new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
$87,200.00 - $109,000.00
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, May 22, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.