City of Guelph
Economic Development Analyst
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position will provide research, data collection, data maintenance, interpretation and synthesis of information that supports Economic Development and Tourism (EDT) programs and projects. This position will assist with the advancing of economic development efforts of the community and inform the development of EDT related policies and strategic directions. This includes but is not limited to: marketing, business retention and expansion, investment attraction, downtown renewal, EDT capital projects, commercial real estate and other related projects.
- Assist EDT department staff by identifying their information needs and providing the relevant and available data and resources required;
- Liaise with data providers and partners such as City staff in other related departments (e.g. GIS, Planning, Community Services, Building, etc.), Statistics Canada, Conference Board of Canada, Provincial and Federal government agencies, Guelph Chamber of Commerce, Workforce Planning Board, University of Guelph and other economic development organizations and associations;
- Research and collect projects including but not limited to: industry and market intelligence, demographics, labour force, income, economic indicators, community and sector profiles, development and construction values, tax assessment values, etc.;
- Advise on and undertake procurement of additional data sets or information to further analytics capabilities of the department;
- Organize and perform regular maintenance, data entry and updates to EDT databases (e.g. CRM, business directory, business retention and expansion survey data, business data/GIS mapping);
- Establish and ensure effective data management practices are completed through the updating and indexing of data;
- Data visualization and reporting of qualitative and quantitative data for EDT key performance indicators as well as broader economic performance and intelligence;
- Collect, analyze and interpret information from surveys, research forums, round tables and other primary sources;
- Work with subject matter experts to develop business and financial analysis, policy reviews and assist in the preparation of related business cases that inform policy development and strategic direction (e.g. Parking Master Plan, Downtown Implementation Strategy, etc.);
- Research and develop tools to further support economic analysis, monitoring, and/or forecasting;
- Prepare reports and presentations to senior staff, Council and stakeholders;
- Support and respond to internal and external requests for information and provide information and data for requests for information packages for investment prospects;
- Through the provision of data, assist with the development and updating of marketing collaterals, annual reports, sector and community profiles, website, etc.;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a degree in commerce, statistics, economic development, economics and/or information studies or closely related discipline and progressive experience in business development research and analysis, preferably in both the private and public sectors. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered;
- An affiliation with Economic Development Council of Ontario, Economic Development Association of Canada or similar would be considered an asset;
- Excellent computer skills with proficiencies in Microsoft Dynamics, MS Office suite, ArcGIS, Power BI. Knowledge of Google Analytics, Power Automate and/or Python considered an asset;
- Knowledge of data collection best practices and data management principles including legislative responsibilities for data privacy;
- Excellent knowledge and abilities in research methodologies for collecting qualitative and quantitative primary (e.g. surveys) and secondary sources information;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing, interpreting and integrating statistical data, as well as conducting geospatial analysis;
- Advanced knowledge of data sets and information sources (e.g. Statistics Canada, Conference Board of Canada);
- Abilities to keep apprised current data sources and recommend and implement data systems as required;
- Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of public policy would be considered an asset;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proactive and a self-starter;
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written) and presentation skills with the ability to communicate and work with all levels of staff, businesses and the general public;
- Exceptional judgement and political sensitivity in complex situations;
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to maintain and synthesize information and respond to data requests, often with short timelines;
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Manage multiple priorities and function effectively in a high volume workplace;
- Designation of EcD or CEcD is an asset.
In accordance with the City of Guelph’s employment practices, new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, May 29, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.