City of Kitchener
Business Growth & Outreach Lead (Manufacturing, Food & Financial Services)
Competition Number: 130-791
Job Code: 1321
Job Status: Permanent Full-Time
The Business Growth and Outreach Lead is responsible for leading and implementing strategies and initiatives that stimulate the growth of Kitchener’s manufacturing, food production and financial services ecosystems. The growth and ongoing development of the City’s business parks and industrial areas is a primary focus, which includes developing strong relationships with existing, expanding and new businesses. Strong academic and Industry experience provides the foundation to lead strategic high profile economic development projects and initiatives.
Business Attraction, Retention & Expansion
- Leads and implements strategies and initiatives that stimulate the growth of Kitchener’s manufacturing, food production and financial services industry ecosystems.
- Builds and manages a client portfolio and sales funnel of prospective, existing and expanding businesses through the adoption of Salesforce. Works with corporate executives and decision makers to interpret and understand their financial outlook in order to support their expansion and development decision making process.
- Actively builds and manages partnerships with key industry growth partners such as the Manufacturing Innovation Network, Waterloo Economic Development Corporation, post-secondary institutions, Workforce Planning Board, and other community partners.
- Actively builds and manages relationships with key building owners, developers and real estate agents/brokers. Analyzes and summarizes development proformas and criteria in order to support their decision-making process.
- Represents the City at trade shows and investment meetings, leads investment tours, supports foreign direct investment initiatives and liaises with Federal, Provincial and Regional Government agencies to resolve client concerns and access program funding.
- Supports the growth of the city’s local skilled labour force, enhancing the ecosystem with the goal of retaining jobs locally.
Stewardship of Development Assets
- Actively stewards the growth and development of the City’s various business parks and industrial areas, such as the Huron Business Park, and Lancaster Corporate Centre, .
- Stewards the brand of the City’s employment lands, locally and nationally, through the implementation of marketing strategies, brand campaigns, promotional efforts, and earned media, .
- Actively builds partnerships and a unified business community effort, such as with building owners and real estate agents, to advance the growth of the City’s employment lands.
- Support the City’s sustainability objectives by promoting adoption with the business community
- Support the implementation of the City’s Sustainable Development Goals within Make it Kitchener 2.0 and integration with the business community
Sales & Recruitment
- Actively seeks out and negotiates with prospective tenants for the City’s various business facilities, such as 44 Gaukel.
- Actively nurtures prospective development partners for City-owned suburban lands.
- Responsible for nurturing client relationships from prospect through to lease/acquisition completion.
- Actively seeks out funding and sponsorship opportunities to support the City’s economic development initiatives.
- Leads various high profile economic development projects and initiatives, including strategic actions of Make It Kitchener 2.0. This includes project conception, community engagement, strategy development, terms of reference, project charter, the coordination of resources, and solicitation of funding.
- Supports the growth, development and execution of the Waterloo Region Manufacturing Innovation Network.
- Leads the planning and development of new industrial land and business parks.
- 4-year degree in business, economic development, real estate, marketing, sales or related field.
- Minimum 4-7 years of related and relevant experience including business development, sales, relationship management, and industry participation.
- Must have demonstrated experience leading, managing and implementing major projects, including a track record of successfully completing projects within scope, on-time and on-budget.
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute a project plan that collaboratively engages a variety of stakeholders while ensuring project timelines are met
- Preference may be given to candidates with direct experience in the fields of manufacturing or food processing.
- Preference may be given to candidates with direct experience with scaling industrial companies.
- Must have working knowledge of the principles, practices and theories of economic development, real estate, business growth and investment.
- Must have an ability to analyze and interpret key corporate financial documents (ex: balance sheets, income statements, financial statement notes, proformas, etc.).
- Must have experience with, and working knowledge of, marketing, sales and brand development principles.
- Must demonstrate the abilities to establish new client relationships, foster relationships and complete sales transactions.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, communication and organizational skills
- Superior written, oral and presentation skills, with demonstrated strength in report writing and presentation skills; proven ability communicating effectively at all levels of both internal and external organizations
- Demonstrates an ability to work alone/independently with minimal supervision as well as collaboratively as part of a team
In accordance with the City of Kitchener’s Mandatory Verification of COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, new City of Kitchener employees (or employees rehired after a break in service of more than 3 months) are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR-110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
Department: Development Services
Division: Economic Development
Union Affiliation: CUPE 791
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm with some evenings and weekends
Salary Range: $79,590 - $99,487
Click here for more information