Town of Halton Hills
Economic Development and Research Officer
Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate that shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Economic Development and Innovation, this full-time position will assist in implementing key divisional and corporate priorities, with a focus on the Community Improvement Plan (CIP), Business Retention and Expansion, Business Attraction, research and analysis, and economic development communications and marketing. This position contributes to making Halton Hills one of the best places to live, work, play and invest.
- Leads and supports implementation of the recommendations of the Economic Development and Tourism Strategy.
- Leads implementation of the Community Improvement Plan (CIP) and its 10 financial incentive programs, including program marketing, funding application intake, eligibility evaluation and processing, funding agreement implementation, and ongoing monitoring and reporting.
- Leads implementation of the Business Retention and Expansion program, including coordination of the Corporate Calling initiative, developing, and delivering business support programming, building strategic relationships, and coordinating partner/industry events.
- Maintains a comprehensive Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Develops and distributes a variety of highly effective communication and marketing content and materials, including the Invest Halton Hills e-newsletter, Invest Halton Hills Annual Report, social media posts, videos, and media releases.
- Oversees the investhaltonhills.com and visithaltonhills.ca websites, including through regular content management, updates, AODA compliance, and analytics collection and reporting.
- Prepares Terms of Reference for projects and oversees the work of external consultants, including project and budget management.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports on key economic development, business, and related data, and KPIs, focused on supporting and growing the existing employment base and workforce development.
- Coordinates and leads committees established for economic development projects, as assigned by the Manager.
- Represents the Town on various internal and external committees, including those of the Chamber of Commerce, BIAs, Halton Region, and project-specific committees.
- Researches and manages funding agreements and partnership opportunities, including applications, budgets, and reporting.
- Assists with the section’s budget planning and manages project accounts.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with Halton Region, local Halton municipalities and other levels of government, local businesses, partners, and stakeholders.
- Maintains awareness of leading economic, industry sector, business, real estate, and industry practices and trends, and reports on any impacts on the Town.
- Prepares professional advice and briefing materials, reports and presentations for the Manager, Senior Management Team, Council, Standing Committees, and internal and external committees and organizations.
- Builds, leverages, and supports connections with regional post-secondary institutions for business and employment growth.
- As needed, assists with special projects, including affordable housing.
- Complies with corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensures a high degree of service for both internal and external customers in accordance with Town standards.
- University degree in Economics, Business, Commerce, Planning, Marketing, Communication, Public Administration and/or a related field(s).
- 3-5 years of experience in Economic Development.
- Experience in implementing Community Improvement Plans.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Positive, solution-oriented and customer service-focused attitude.
- Excellent computer skills, including Zoom, MS Teams, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Canva and social media.
- Membership with EDCO and/or EDAC and/or the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute (MCIP, RPP designation), or working towards the designation.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively and use ingenuity to solve unique challenges.
- Knowledge of leading economic development principles, practices, trends, research, and regulations, both domestic and international.
- Able to develop, champion, lead and implement projects requiring cross-departmental collaboration.
- Able to operate in a team environment and independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and multi-task under time constraints.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle for business purposes.
The salary range for this position (35 hours per week) is $73,581 – $87,598.
The regular hours of work for this position are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, however there may be occasional requirements to work evenings, weekends and/or overtime.
Location: This position allows for a blend of working onsite and remotely based on the needs of the business.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume as a single document, sent in confidence to the Town by 4:30 p.m., July 11, 2022. Please quote Posting 202241 on your cover letter.
We thank all those who apply but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Director of Human Resources.
1 Halton Hills Drive, Halton Hills, Ontario L7G 5G2
905-873-2601 | 1-877-712-2205 | 905-873-2347 (fax) | haltonhills.ca