City of Markham
Manager, Economic Development
Regular Full Time Manager
Markham, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 3121
Salary Range: $114,800.00 To $135,108.00 (CAD) Annually
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 355,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada's Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
Applications are now being accepted for the Manager, Economic Development in the Economic Growth, Culture and Entrepreneurship Department of the Development Services Commission. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at www.markham.ca/careers by December 4, 2022.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Growth, Culture and Entrepreneurship, the Manager, Economic Development is key member of the Development Services team. Responsible for providing leadership, direction and oversight to Economic Development and Small Business Centre within the Department, key responsibilities include:
- Economic Development Strategy Development and Implementation – leads the development and implementation of economic development strategies focused on growing Markham’s economy, including annual business plans, results reporting and strategy updates.
- Development Facilitation Office – co-leads the Development Facilitation Office in partnership with the Planning Department, with a specific focus on accelerating new office and industrial developments in the City of Markham.
- Markham Small Business Centre – oversees the management of the Markham Small Business Centre and its staff that are focused on supporting entrepreneurs and small businesses in the City of Markham.
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) – directs the City of Markham’s FDI portfolio and acts as staff lead on international business missions involving government, the development community, businesses, innovation networks and academic partners.
- City-Building Initiatives – collaborates on city-building initiatives within the City of Markham, including working with planning on secondary plans and promotion of investment opportunities in Markham communities, including Markham Centre.
- Relationship Building – initiates, cultivates and leverages relationships with the City of Markham’s economic development partners, including ventureLAB, YSpace, Toronto Global, York University, Seneca College, trade commissioners, business organizations, real estate industry, and other stakeholders to build partnerships that promote economic opportunities in Markham.
- Government Relations – initiates, cultivates and leverages relationships with federal, provincial and municipal governments to promote economic opportunities in Markham.
- Business and Administration – manages budgets, procurement, reporting and administrative requirements for the economic development team.
- Agile Leadership – uses analytical and interpretive thinking to understand agendas, relationships, and viewpoints of stakeholders in order to adjust plans and strategies to quickly develop new courses of action. Has the ability to promptly manage multiple, complex and concurrent projects with political acuity, tact, discretion and initiative.
- Staff Leadership – provides leadership, supervision, mentorship and advice to a team of nine staff.
- Member of the Senior Management team for the Department working collaboratively and providing support to the Economic Development, Culture and Events teams. Provides leadership to their staff team and supports the Director to undertake the management of issues and opportunities for the department as required including leading corporative initiatives.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define, develop and implement annual business planning and budgeting processes, and monitor status throughout year.
- Direct Markham’s foreign direct investment portfolio by acting as staff lead on international Mayor-led business missions involving government, businesses, innovation networks and academic partners.
- Manage, mentor and develop economic development staff.
- Oversee the development of strategic plans and monitor their performance.
- Promote Markham as an innovative destination for businesses, residents and visitors.
- Manage relationships with industry, local and international chambers of commerce, governments, and academic partners to expand Markham’s competitive strengths in key growth sectors.
- Collaborate with commercialization and innovation partners, including business associations and regional economic development authorities. These strategic relationships comprise industry, academic, and other partners will help build and shape the innovation and commercialization capacity of Markham.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to bring strategic business events, speakers, and partnerships to Markham to raise Markham’s innovation and global reputation.
- Advise Mayor, Council and ELT on confidential matters and act with integrity and ethically at all times. Prepare and deliver reports to City Council and senior leadership team.
- Represent the department at business community meetings and events and leverage partnerships and speaking opportunities to promote the City of Markham as a destination for investment.
- Must possess at least a university undergraduate degree in the field of business, planning, or economic development plus a minimum of 8 years’ experience as a manager or senior executive in a similar field of work. A high level of competency as a business communicator and strategic thinker.
- Additional desirable skills/experience: international experience, working knowledge of other languages, prior experience working for a municipality.
- Service Excellence: Focuses organizational resources on understanding and responding effectively and efficiently to customer needs.
- Change & Innovation: Encourages innovation and effectively leads, implements, assesses and sustains change initiatives.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Develops collaborative and high performing teams as well as effective relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Communication: Adapts communication approach to needs of audience and situation, and develops staff in this area.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Ensures work group behaves ethically and complies with expectations, policies and legislation; focuses work group efforts to work plan.
- Management & Leadership: Builds an engaging environment that supports learning, career development and regular feedback, and that attracts and retains high performing staff.
- Strategic Thinking & Planning: Understands and assesses complex concepts, trends and relationships; participates in business planning; makes decisions that align with the City’s strategic direction.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of 2 Health Canada approved vaccination doses upon a conditional offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.