Economic Development Officer
The Economic Development Officer will be responsible for developing and coordinating the implementation of a strategic action plan and taking a lead role in activities and initiatives that will support business retention and expansion and the attraction of investment and business opportunities to the Municipality of Sioux Lookout.
This is a Non-Union / Non-Management Position.
Strategy and Planning:
- Assist in the development of economic development strategies, objectives, and long-range plans for a unified attraction program.
- Monitor conditions and trends with regarding to existing and potential development and make recommendations.
- Keep informed of all funding opportunities, share opportunities with affected departments and assist in obtaining funding opportunities.
Programs / Initiatives and Implementation:
- Act as contact for business attraction
- Research and target recruitment prospects
- Collection information and create marketing materials
Internal / External Relations:
- Prepare Council reports, business cases, terms of reference, RFP’s as required.
- Engage with other Municipal departments for recommendations, data collection and analysis regarding land use amendments, infrastructure plans, and zoning policies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders.
- Strong understanding and cultural awareness of Indigenous communities served by Sioux Lookout.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Completion of post-secondary education in Business Administration, Economic Development, Marketing or equivalent field.
- Certified Economic Developer (Ec. D.) preferred
- Completion of the AMTCO Municipal Administration Program preferred
- Minimum 1-3 years working experience in Economic Development, marketing, public relations, or Municipal Government
- Proven effectiveness in strategic planning, risk management, and business processes
- Familiarity with computer usage and ability to create marketing materials
- Ability to prepare, review, and monitor funding applications.
- Exceptional communication skills - verbal and written.
- Ability to present information in various group sizes and situations.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
Applications: To apply for this opportunity, you are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter in confidence to the undersigned. This position will be advertised until filled.
Human Resources Department
Municipality of Sioux Lookout
25 Fifth Avenue, PO Box 158, Sioux Lookout ON P8T 1A4
Tel: 807-737-2700 Fax: 807-737-8067
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the information gathered will be used for the purpose of job selection. Any queries relating to the collection of personal information should be directed to the Municipal Clerk. For additional information visit our website at www.siouxlookout.ca.
The Municipality of Sioux Lookout is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.