City of Guelph
Economic Development Officer
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Economic Development Officer will be responsible for developing and leading economic development programs that enhance Guelph's position as a competitive and prosperous location for private and public investment that will positively contribute to the City's employment and non-residential tax base. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Create and implement viable programs that enhance Guelph's competitiveness, investment readiness and business climate, including employment survey program, visitation program, land and infrastructure planning and other related economic development projects.
- Develop a working knowledge of key industry growth sectors in Guelph, identify prospective investment and expansion leads and follow up with outreach calls, visits, meetings and/or real estate tours.
- Respond to requests for information and expansion inquiries, and prepare responses in a timely manner.
- Deliver service excellence and act as the City's champion/advisor for business Investment/expansion clients and address queries regarding ICI real estate, municipal fees, development approval processes (zoning, planning and permitting processes, etc.), timelines and other municipal matters.
- Facilitate meetings with clients and staff, collect required information and attend pre-consultation, site plan review, committee of adjustment and/or Council meetings, with business clients and work with staff to find possible solutions where barriers exist.
- Maintain economic development networks and connect businesses and potential investors to municipal, provincial and federal government resources, funding programs, business support services and resources that offer solutions and support their growth.
- Provide input on corporate policy and program changes and ensure that relevant business stakeholders are appropriately engaged.
- Work with corporate communications to ensure impacts of municipal service level changes are being appropriately communicated to impacted businesses.
- Manage project timelines, budgets and metrics.
- Carry out other departmental and corporate duties as directed by the Manager of Economic Development.
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through a Degree in Business/Commerce, Economic Development, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Public Administration and/or closely related field and experience in one of more of the following, economic development, planning, real estate and land development, business development. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- An affiliation with Economic Development Council of Ontario, Economic Development Association of Canada, Ontario Professional Planners Association and/or Canadian Institute of Planners would be considered an asset.
- Relationship building skills and the ability to initiate, develop, influence and maintain collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders both internally and externally, including staff, council, higher levels of government, business, community organizations and academia sectors.
- Project management skills to manage projects within set timelines and budgetary constraints.
- Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community-based service environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate and work with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Exceptional judgement and political sensitivity in complex situations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to manage and use database programs such as Microsoft Dynamics. Experience using AMANDA would be considered an asset.
- Valid class G Driver's licence with good driving record and a reliable vehicle to be used on corporate business. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver's abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that is has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- This position requires frequent local, regional and some international travel with extended overnight stays.
In keeping with our corporate value of Wellness, The City of Guelph recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. Where the work permits, employees will have the ability to participate in our Hybrid Work and our Flexible Time programs. Please note, this position is eligible for Hybrid and Flexible work arrangements (subject to change).
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, April 2, 2023. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.