The City of Belleville
Job Title: Manager, Economic Development
Salary: Grade 6 ($108,791.96 – $129,515.02)
The City of Belleville, known as the ‘Friendly City’, is located at the mouth of the Moira River where it meets the picturesque Bay of Quinte. Experience world-class fishing, boating, cycling, and walking along approximately 14 kilometers of waterfront trails. Situated between Toronto and Montreal, and less than one hour from the U.S. border, the City truly is at the center of it all.
Approximately 56,000 people make Belleville their home and over 220,000 live within 30 minutes of the City. We are in close proximity to Prince Edward County where you can discover award winning wineries and numerous beaches including Sandbanks Provincial Park. We are home to Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology as well as Albert College, Canada’s oldest co-ed boarding independent private school. The historic downtown core provides numerous restaurants, shopping and live music and theater venues for an amazing cultural experience. Our inviting blend of small-town warmth and big city amenities, quality of life and affordable housing make Belleville the perfect place to live, work and play. More information is available at www.belleville.ca
Currently, the City of Belleville has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, strategic, and dynamic individual to join our Chief Administrative Office as the Manager of Economic Development.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Reporting to the Director, the Manager of Recreation Services manages recreation programs, facility rentals & bookings, events, client services, office support, and crossing guards; and develops, implements, and administers policies and procedures within these sections.
Under the leadership of the Director, this position is responsible for the preparation, monitoring, and coordination of the department’s operating budget. This position oversees the daily, weekly, and monthly monitoring of all departmental operating accounts.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- · Responsible for the day-to-day administration and supervision of the economic development section.
- · Develop priorities, policies and programs related to economic development.
- · Develop draft annual budget estimates and prioritize budget needs.
- · Develop and maintain up-to-date material relevant to local economic development (i.e., community profile, industrial directory, land and building database, website information, etc.)
- · Provide marketing and promotional expertise and arrange for appropriate advertising and promotional activities.
- · Meet with provincial and federal agencies, politicians, business leaders and potential investors, their agents and consultants, to provide information about the City and to. encourage investment in the community.
- · Perform a liaison role with existing industries and provide assistance as necessary to local business regarding government programs, issues pertaining to City services, etc.
- · Prepare economic development proposals and action plans related to attracting and retaining business and industry.
- · Represent the City on various City appointed committees on non-City boards and committees related to the promotion or development of business and industry in Belleville (i.e., Chamber, BDIA, Trenval, QEDC, QMA, Business Achievement Awards, OEEDC, etc.)
- · Liaise with Loyalist College, the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) and other educational institutions to ensure graduates have the skills needed by local business.
- · Administer the City's contracts with the Chamber of Commerce and the Quinte Economic Development Commission, and the contract for the provision of tourism services, including the development of strategic initiatives with respect to the tourism industry.
- · Monitor industrial park development, surrounding buildings and development activity and recommend ways to deal with significant issues.
- · Provide administrative support services (agendas, minutes, reports, notices, etc.) for the City's Economic Development Committee
- · Recommend projects" or initiatives that could support or improve the City's relations with the local business community.
- · Implement and assess special projects and initiatives as assigned.
- · Ensure (with CAO) that all departments act in an economic development friendly manner.
- · Monitor progress of the Corporation towards meeting the objectives related to economic development as set out in the Strategic and Corporate Business Plans
- · Develop and nurture relevant partnerships including the monitoring and seeking of funding sources.
- · Act as the principal policy advisor to the CAO, Mayor, and Council on economic development matters.
- · Other duties as assigned.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
· University degree in business, marketing, economics, geography or related discipline
· Principles and practices of community planning, land use/growth management concepts, infrastructure improvement planning and capital facilities budgeting
· Excellent organizational and conflict resolution, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
· Creative and innovative
· Effective verbal, written and presentation skills.
· Driver's license and vehicle required.
· Knowledge of Federal/ Provincial legislation, policy and programs related to business development, investment/ trade, enterprise, innovation and growth.
· Five (5) years’ experience in marketing, promotion, development, and/or public relations, preferably with municipal or other government service,
· Three (3) years supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment
· Ability to work with all levels of government and business and be politically astute.
· Experience in a computerized office environment
· Available to travel and/or attend meetings, occasionally on short notice.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- · Competitive market salary.
- · Competitive employer-paid extended health benefits.
- · OMERS Pension Plan.
- · Opportunity to enter a hybrid work arrangement subject to applicable policies and approvals, following the successful completion of the probationary period.
- · Live, work, and play in the beautiful city of Belleville and experience all that it has to offer.
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Number of Positions: One (1)
Closing Date: March 4, 2024 at 4:30 PM
Department: Chief Administrative Office
Location: City Hall
Hours:8:30 – 4:30, Monday to Friday
Employee Group: Administrative Group
Salary: Grade 6 ($108,791.96 – $129,515.02)
How to Apply:
Check out our careers page here.
We thank all applicants who apply but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that the City of Belleville uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job postings. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked frequently and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time-sensitive correspondence regarding recruitments via email, it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the job posting.
Applicants will be required to provide at their own expense a satisfactory criminal reference check dated within the past six (6) months and if deemed a requirement of the position, a driver’s abstract to the Human Resources Department on or before the date of the interview but no later than the commencement of employment if selected.
The City of Belleville is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Personal information and any supporting material will be administered in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).