Town of St. Marys - Economic Development Manager (JP: 2017-044)
Rich in heritage, culture and community spirit, the Town of St. Marys is located on the Thames River between Stratford and London, and is one of three separated communities in Ontario. Offering a diversity of services, while providing the 7,200 residents with the opportunity to experience a high quality of life, St. Marys is a community with considerable promise.
The Town of St. Marys is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to take on the responsibilities of Economic Development Manager. This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing innovative programs and initiatives to encourage business growth and tourism activity in the Town while also leveraging culture as a component of economic development.
- Work with all relevant departments and stakeholders to create and implement a long-term tourism plan for the Town of St Marys.
- Determine, prepare and monitor promotional plans for economic development and tourism activities in coordination with the Corporate Communications Department.
- Pursue projects and opportunities consistent with the Town of St. Marys Strategic Plan, Business Retention and Expansion Report, Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan and the Municipal Cultural Plan.
- Provide long-term economic sustainability by identifying, recruiting and promoting new business and industrial opportunities as well as working with existing businesses to promote improvements and growth.
- Organize and represent the Town at various functions such as industry breakfasts, job fairs, trade shows, networking and/or community events and other public functions.
- Maintain a contact list for vacant downtown buildings and act as a Town rep during property tours.
- Recommend strategies and develop potential profiles of retail businesses that enhance or complement the existing businesses.
- As a Town representative, liaise with retail merchants, property owners, the Business Improvement Area (BIA), the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) and the Labour Market Strategies Committee.
- Actively seek out and develop new tourism opportunities within the Town and surrounding area through partnerships to increase the Town’s impact and profile.
- Establish and maintain contacts with local municipalities, other levels of government and regional economic development and tourism stakeholders/agencies.
- Manage the VIA Rail service and staff to ensure the smooth operations and accurate reporting.
- Research, write and present reports as required.
- Post-Secondary education with a focus on Economic Development, Tourism, Business Administration, Public Relations or equivalent education and experience.
- 3-5 years related experience.
- Strong and effective communications, public relation, presentation and public speaking skills.
- Class G Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle.
The salary range for this position is $63,393-$80,987 based on a thirty-five (35) hour workweek. The Town of St. Marys offers an attractive, competitive benefit package and a progressive work environment. A copy of the full job description is available from Human Resources. Interested candidates should forward a resume (PDF or WORD format), on or before 2:30 p.m. September 29, 2017 to Human Resources at 175 Queen St E, St Marys or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of St. Marys is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process for candidates. Persons requiring accommodation through the recruitment and selection process are required to advise Human Resources of their accommodation requirements at the time of initial contact. Information received relating to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially. In accordance with the “Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act”, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.