This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match include an interview, written and practical tests. The successful candidate will be required to pass each element of the recruitment process with a minimum score of 75%.
Job Designation: Senior Economic Development Officer
Department: Economic Development
Salary Range: $82,618 - 100,746
Pay Grade: 13
Duration: This is a 12-month contract opportunity commencing in July 2018
Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, this position is responsible for business development in order to generate new property tax assessment and employment in the Town of Oakville. Major responsibilities include development of a Mitigation Strategy for Downtown Oakville; implementation of a new Brownfield Redevelopment Program; responding to site selection inquiries and providing business assistance through the approval process; as well as liaising with international cities for business development.
- Respond to inquiries for available properties/buildings and prepare comprehensive proposals for site selection inquiries
- Provide assistance to applicants in the development approval process and develop a business guide for the development approval process
- Communicate with developers, investors, real estate agents, site selectors, the Chamber of Commerce and the business community in respect of development initiatives, issues and processes
- Lead the implementation of a new Brownfield Incentive Program in conjunction with other town departments
- Undertake best practice research and prepare recommendation reports for Mitigation in Downtown Oakville
- Liaise with international cities with which the Town has established relationships with a view to developing trade and investment opportunities
- Provide input for departmental publications including the annual Economic Development Report
- Develop and implement an annual work plan and track progress in accordance with departmental performance indicators
- Prepare reports and presentations for Council
- Participate in the development of the Town's five year Economic Development Strategy
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree in Business, Economic Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, or Economics.
- A minimum of 5 years related experience working in economic development.
- Eligibility for certification from the Economic Developers Association of Canada or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of real estate practices and an understanding of the Provincial Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act and the Town of Oakville’s Official Plan.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation, project management and leadership skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team setting.
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer applications including GIS, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Maximizer and internet search engines.
- The successful candidate will be required to supply their own personal vehicle for performing job duties/ corporate business.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on Monday May 14, 2018.
Dated: April 27, 2018