Reporting to the Manager, Economic Development, the Economic Development Research Officer provides economic policy advice, monitors economic trends and policy directions, undertakes the collection, statistical analysis and reporting of economic, business and development data and supports projects related to employment land development, investment attraction and retention, entrepreneurship, innovation, industry sectors, international export trends and workforce development as set out in the Region’s Economic Development Strategic Implementation Plan.
The successful candidate will possess a degree in economics, business administration or commerce, or public administration with four to seven years professional work experience in economic development or a related field. Professional accreditation from the Economic Development Association of Canada (Ec.D.) is desirable. The successful candidate must demonstrate; a proven ability in analyzing, interpreting and communicating data to support economic development initiatives, a strong understanding of data collection techniques and business surveying methodology and databases, an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and statistical software, and excellent project management and multi-tasking skills to meet critical deadlines, excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to support internal and external clients. The ability to work both independently and in a team environment including liaison work with external stakeholders is essential. Demonstrated solid judgement, problem-solving, political acuity, tact and diplomacy skills are necessary. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Collects, assembles, analyzes and maintains timely and relevant economic and business data to support economic development-related initiatives including; online data tools, dashboards and other data visualization tools, social and digital media initiatives, marketing and promotional materials and other collateral material for use by Halton Region, the Halton Local Municipalities and the business community as required.
- Assists in the administration, analysis and reporting of the Halton Business Conditions Survey and support for the Halton Employment Survey.
- Coordinates projects to support economic development objectives as identified in the annual work-plan, provides support to corporate initiatives impacting economic development, tracks key economic indicators and operational performance metrics, and provides project management of external vendors, as required.
- Researches and monitors developments in legislation, intergovernmental policies and trends and provides economic analysis and policy advice as to how they relate to / impact Halton Region’s economic development priorities.
- Provides timely response to inquiries from the business community, partner organizations and Halton Region staff and provides relevant information and advice.
- Prepares regular blog and social media posts on various economic development research topics.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Please apply online at www.halton.ca/jobs. The posting expires May 28, 2018. Quote posting #LP-193-18Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resources at 905-825-6000 ext. 7700 if you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.