This is temporary/contract position, working 35 hours per week, for up to 18 months.
Reporting to the Manager, Economic Development, this role provides economic development services including investment attraction, retention and expansion to support Regional priorities regarding employment land development, investment attraction and retention, and sector development as set out in the Halton Region Economic Development Strategic Implementation Plan.
The successful candidate will possess a degree in planning, economics, business administration, or public administration with four to seven years professional work experience in economic development or a related field. Professional accreditation from the Economic Development Association of Canada (Ec.D.) is desirable. The successful candidate must demonstrate; strong knowledge of employment land development, investment attraction, site selection and real estate, business retention, and workforce development, and have excellent report writing abilities and strong communication skills, excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to support internal and external clients. Demonstrated knowledge of legislation relating to land development, municipal approvals and Halton’s competitiveness for attracting investment is required. The ability to work both independently and in a team environment including liaison work with external stakeholders is essential. Demonstrated solid judgement, problem-solving, political acuity, tact and diplomacy skills are necessary. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver's license by their first day of employment.
- Undertakes actions related to employment land development, investment attraction and retention and sector development as set out in the Region’s Economic Development Strategic Implementation Plan.
- Works with internal and external partners, including the Halton Local Municipalities and developers to facilitate timely employment land development and industrial and commercial construction activity.
- Implements the Region’s investment attraction and retention plan, working closely with Toronto Global, senior levels of government and the Halton Local Municipalities.
- Develops marketing and communications and presentation materials for attracting investment in strategic sectors to Halton, highlighting the region’s competitiveness, labour force and other attributes.
- Builds and maintain relationships with industrial and commercial realtors, developers, site selectors and end-users in key sectors to increase awareness of Halton’s investment potential.
- Prepares briefing materials and reports for Senior Management and Council as required with respect to economic development initiatives, investment attraction, key sector and ICI development trends.
- Prepares regular blog and social media posts on various economic development topics.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Please apply online by July 21, 2018 at www.halton.ca/jobs
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.