Situated on the shores of Lake Huron at the mouth of the St. Clair River, The City of Sarnia is noted for its breathtaking sky-blue water and beautiful waterfront parks. A border community with a population of 72,000 residents, the City of Sarnia offers a high quality of life with affordable living, excellent schools, state-of-the-art healthcare facilities, a variety of cultural institutions, together with exceptional recreation and leisure services.
The best of Sarnia is featured in a series of three videos showcasing the natural beauty, the lifestyle of our residents, and the strategic advantages for business. Learn more about Sarnia and all it has to offer through our Guides to the City. Sarnia, the place you want to Live, Work and Play.
Reporting to the Director of Community Development Services & Standards, this position is responsible for implementation of programs and initiatives for the purpose of supporting the economic development of the City.
A complete job description is available from Human Resources.
- A four (4) year university degree in Commerce, Economics, Marketing or related field plus four (4) to six (6) years related work experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Proficiency in community economic and business development.
- Broad knowledge of business and government coupled with an ability to handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with diverse groups of people and interests.
- Experience building strategic partnerships and developing collaborative relationships with business owners, government officials and stakeholders groups
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Solid understanding of municipal legislation and the local economic environment
- Strong analytical, research, report writing and verbal presentation skills.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of social media, on-line engagement, analytical and dashboard tools.
Salary Range: $29.00 - $44.62
Closing Date: October 21, 2018
Union: This position is represented by CUPE Local 3690.
The City of Sarnia offers competitive compensation, extended health and dental benefits, and enrollment in OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume in confidence to email@example.com indicating “2018-051 – Economic Development Officer”.
The City of Sarnia is an inclusive and equitable Corporation that encourages applications from qualified individuals of all genders, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Information received relating to accommodation and diversity will be addressed confidentially.Personal information is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.