We are looking for... an experienced economic development professional who shares our passion for economic development and building a successful Burlington. This role will be focused on working with our partners to help develop and deliver a strong branding and marketing strategy that helps attract and retain high growth companies to Burlington.
ABOUT BURLINGTON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (BEDC)
BEDC is a non-profit organization established in 1994 to work with the public and private sectors to promote economic growth in Burlington. In partnership with the City of Burlington, BEDC works closely with local stakeholders to help companies start-up, locate and grow in Burlington.
BEDC’s mandate is to lead, influence and facilitate Burlington’s transformation into a vibrant and economically thriving city. With a new Strategic Plan approved in January 2018, BEDC is focused on the core objectives of keeping Burlington competitive, attracting and growing innovative companies and developing an attractive 21st century city.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Economic Development Officer will play a key role in developing a new business brand and marketing strategy for Burlington. A savvy marketing professional who can think not only strategically but be hands on in crafting messaging and driving awareness of Burlington as a business growth destination. You are an expert relationship manager, and you take great pride in working with partners across the public and private sectors to achieve our goals. We are a fast-paced organization dealing with issues that are different every day, and that’s good because you prefer it that way. Multi-tasking comes naturally to you, and you’re looking for an opportunity to be challenged, work as part of a team, and use creativity to bring ideas to life. Working as part of our team you will help support businesses to locate, expand and grow in Burlington by helping solve issues for them from zoning to immigration and everything in between.
KEY ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Strong interest and experience in Economic Development;
- Proven marketing and communications skills;
- Experience developing actionable strategies and plans;
- Broad knowledge of current economic development, investment attraction and planning issues in the GTHA, and the ability to obtain knowledge of related provincial and federal government legislation and programs;
- Well-developed interpersonal communication and negotiation skills;
- Strong writing and presentation skills;
- Proficiency with computer applications including Microsoft Office, knowledge of Salesforce software would be an asset;
- Excellent writing, verbal and analytical communications skills;
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines;
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels including Board Members, Council, Developers, Realtors, Businesses and Ratepayers;
- Ability to develop and nurture productive business relationships with internal and external partners working collaboratively to resolve problems;
- Passionate about problem solving and looking at the bigger picture;
- Devotion to delivering quality work; and
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
The Senior Economic Development Officer will:
1. Help build the foundational elements for Burlington’s business brand
2. Lead the redevelopment of Burlington’s business brand
3. Lead the redevelopment of BEDC’s marketing strategy focused on attracting high growth companies to Burlington
4. Redevelop BEDC’s website and support the continued success of BEDC’s marketing and communications channels
5. Build and maintain strong relationships with BEDC’s partners to support business attraction, retention and growth
6. Lead on sector focused initiatives, research and relationships
7. Support companies in locating, expanding and starting up in Burlington
8. Work toward the development of policy, plans, programs and projects that support BEDC operations and strategic directions.
9. Participate in and support other aspects of BEDC economic development program, as needed.
Undergraduate Degree and/or Post-Graduate Degree in Marketing, Economics, Business, Economic Development, Real Estate, or a related field. Economic Development Certification from Economic Development Association of Canada (EcD) designation considered an asset.
Proven experience in economic development with 8+ Years of Experience in marketing/business/economic development/real estate or related business. Background in marketing with a strong understanding of the economic development target audiences and channels to build a strong branding and marketing strategy.
Permanent with competitive benefits and OMERS pension plan.
35 hour work week, standard office environment, with some site visits to non-office environments. Must provide own transportation. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to Careers@bedc.ca by Midnight November 4th.
We will only be contacting those we select for an interview. Thank you for your interest!