People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
Working with the Economic Development Division to promote Cambridge as a great City to locate a business and live in, provides information, guidance, support, and customer service to individuals and groups in the process of starting or running a business, and completes regular follow-up to ensure the clients are supported throughout the process. In addition, the position is responsible for operating the Small Business Centre.
What you will be doing
- Provides business consulting, reviews business plans and makes recommendations on improving business planning through market research resources and techniques. Assists clients with Provincial online business registrations and renewals.\
- Develops, promotes and delivers business related seminars, workshops, programs, and administers special projects related to the promotion of the Small Business Centre and small business (i.e. the Summer Company program)
- Creates timely and accurate printed material for clients; compiles and analyzes statistical information; creates reports; and responds to public inquiries.
- Provides liaison between local businesses, community organizations, schools, levels of governments and clients for the purpose of promoting the Centre's services and programs, client success and small business development.
- Represents and promotes the Small Business Centre, small business development and Economic Development Division in the community through involvement with such organizations as the Chamber of Commerce and EDAC, as well as attending various tradeshows throughout the year
- Supports Economic Development efforts through research, analysis, report writing, promotion and marketing
- Maintains relevant Economic Development information and statistics in publications, web site, social media etc.
- Provides assistance in land sales, leases etc.
- Provides assistance, guidance and facilitates customers in navigating the development approvals process.
- Reviews development applications and provides Economic Development comments when necessary..
- Undertakes other duties as assigned from time to time by the Manager of Business Development and/or Director of Economic Development.
- Acts as back up to the Senior Economic Development Officer when necessary.
A Degree in Economic Development; Business Administration; Marketing; Entrepreneurship; Planning, or a combination of equivalent qualifications and experience.
Experience and Knowledge
Two to Four years’ experience running a small business or providing small business consulting. Experience in creating and presenting seminars and excellent customer service also required.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
- Valid G driver's license.
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour
- Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
The annual salary range for this non-union position is $65,290 to $79,623 (Band Level 3). We offer a comprehensive benefit package and are an Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) employer.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week)
Location of Position
This position is located at the Grand Innovations, 96 Grand Avenue South, Cambridge.
Advertisement Expiration Date
To apply for this position visit: www.cambridge.ca/careers. This posting closes on May 14, 2019.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please make your needs known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Division.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.