Position: Economic Development Coordinator
Department: Planning and Development Services (Jurisdictional Group "B")
Reports to: Manager of Economic Development and Tourism Services
Purpose and Scope:
Reporting to the Manager of Economic Development and Tourism Services, the incumbent will provide support to the Manager in the coordination and implementation of programs, objectives and policies to attract and support business investment. lt will include the promotion, growth and development of the municipality's economic base through retention and expansion of existing businesses as well as business attraction activities to support business investment. The incumbent will coordinate the development of promotional marketing materials and activities to market and promote the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, support and encourage new business investment.
- Assists in providing overall coordination for the implementation of various projects and activities in the Economic Development area.
- Develops initiatives in collaboration with the Manager to attract investment opportunities and strategies to support growth in targeted areas. This includes implementing the city's community improvement plans.
- Development and maintenance of relevant promotional and reference material including up to-date statistics and information on the community. (i.e. community profile, local business and industrial directory, newsletters, brochures and building inventory.)
- Coordinates the promotion and sale of city industrial lands.
- Assists in developing resources to support, implement and monitor effective marketing strategies in addition to preparing appropriate marketing materials.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of newsletters and media releases.
- Assist with the provision of strategic communications for the City.
- Respond to daily inquiries; and coordinate economic development events/seminars, meetings and career fairs. . Liaise with regional economic development professionals to implement regional economic development initiatives.
- Develop and maintain active contact with local businesses and economic development organizations and government agencies in order to be informed of current programs and services.
- Assist in the coordination and development and implementation of economic development initiatives and assist in responding to follow-up items resulting from committee meetings.
- Process all incoming revenues, accounts receivables/payables related to the delivery of economic development projects and functions and assist in the preparation of requests for quotations.
- Attend trade shows/conferences as deemed appropriate by the Manager.
- Coordinate the Front Street Farmers' Market and act as the City liaison with the Market Clerk and Vendors.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will have direct contact with:
- lnternal: Manager of Economic Development and Tourism Services, Director of Planning and Development Services, City staff, Council members, Committees of Council where required.
- External: The general public, local business leaders, Business Organizations i.e. Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Business lmprovement Area (DBIA) and Quinte Economic Development Commission (OEDC) and Federal and Provincial agencies, representatives of other municipalities, consultants where required.
The position will require:
- Three (3) year University Degree specializing in Economic Development. o Must be capable of organizing work responsibilities associated with the position.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral including presentation skills.
- A highly developed sense of tact and diplomacy when working with business leaders.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and team building skills.
- The ability to manage and respond to stringent deadlines and to prioritize the same.
- A valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and clean driver's abstract.
Nice to Have:
- A Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D.) designation from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) would be considered an asset.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a municipal environment.
- Demonstrated skills in marketing and communications.
The position is responsible for providing timely, accurate advice and reports to the Manager, Department staff, Committees/Sub-Committees and other City Departments where appropriate and to respond to the decisions and directions generated by the same.
This position has some supervisory responsibilities with respect to the Market Clerk, as required.
- Position works mainly within an office environment. . Requirement to work extended hours as required by the Manager. (Evening meetings, Economic Development / Business functions and events.)
Remuneration: 2019 C.U.P.E. Band 8 (under review) Salary Grid - $31.21 - $32.51/hr
Qualified applicants are invited to visit the City of Quinte West website at www.quintewest.ca and complete the application form and email it along with a resume clearly marked: “Economic Development Coordinator” in the subject line by 4:30pm on October 23, 2019 to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 613-392-2841 (4515) or email the above if you require an accommodation to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process.