Job Number: J1219-0039
Job Title: Economic Development Officer (Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership)
Position Status: Full Time
Division: Community Partners
Facility: Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership
City: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Number of Positions: 1
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
Wage Rate: $68,230.00 - $81,226.00/Year
Date Posted: December 3, 2019
Closing Date: December 22, 2019
Starting Date: January 20, 2020
*Please include cover letter and resume with your application.*
The Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership is a one-stop shop for economic development services whose mission is to promote the distinctive advantages that Sarnia-Lambton has to offer to companies and residents. By coordinating community-based economic development initiatives and working to maintain a commercially attractive environment, we foster new business creation as well as help ensure that established firms remain and grow here in our region.
The Sarnia-Lambton Economic Partnership is a private/public sector, community-based partnership that works to continually increase the economic activity in the County of Lambton. We have local business leaders, educational institutions and municipal governments collaborating with one another, allowing Sarnia-Lambton as a whole to benefit from coordinated economic development initiatives.
The Economic Development Officer's key role is the promotion, development and growth of targeted community sectors. This position focuses on business attraction and business retention/expansion in the Manufacturing, Engineering and Industrial Services sectors. The Economic Development Officer’s key role is to be an effective relationship builder, connector, influencer, negotiator that sees to the promotion, development and growth of targeted community sectors. This position focuses on business attraction and business retention/expansion in the Manufacturing, Engineering and Industrial Services sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and propose an annual business program specific to assigned sectors.
- Research and provide site selection data and information to industrial and commercial clients and site selectors and liaise with local industries to arrange site visits.
- Identify and analyze geographic markets, sectors and individual companies for business attraction to Sarnia-Lambton
- Conduct business outreach and prepare studies/reports for prospective business clients regarding new or expanded businesses in order to facilitate their decisions on locating new investment in Sarnia-Lambton
- Organize and implement specific business retention and expansion strategies through SLEP in support of local municipalities.
- Conduct on-site visits with business clients and provide business retention and expansion assistance in support of their business growth and investment needs
- Undertake initiatives to support business growth and population growth.
- Work with existing, and identify new business sub-sectors promoting growth opportunities.
- Support the growth of current businesses through business strategies and maintain a pro-active outreach program to targeted sectors.
- Initiate and maintain a contact program with identified prospect firms, industry associations, government representatives and other intermediaries to promote Sarnia-Lambton.
- Maintain a detailed record system of prospect and business retention/expansion activity as per SLEP practices and play a lead role with ongoing Customer Relations Management (CRM) software implementation and activities.
- Organize and implement specific business strategies through SLEP and in support of local municipal efforts.
- Initiate and co-ordinate meetings with appropriate groups/municipalities to identify operational projects.
- Serve as a catalyst for the creation of economic development policies and projects within the County.
- Communicate awareness of trends, techniques and opportunities for growth to staff, local and external partners and community groups.
- Provide general advice to local businesses on financing, budgeting, marketing, technology development, commercialization, market development, incentives and programs.
- Maintain effective communications and networks with agencies, organizations, government bodies and individuals capable of identifying, influencing or directing new economic development, business growth and investment opportunities to Sarnia-Lambton.
- Prepare documents, reports, spreadsheets and databases.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to investment leads and stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of government legislation and funding programs and prepare SLEP-focused grant and project applications if required.
- Provide advice and support to the CEO and other staff when requested with respect to their areas of activity.
- Arrange sector-specific tours of Sarnia-Lambton for clients/prospective clients and to a lesser extent to appropriate stakeholders.
- Collaborate with relevant Industry Associations.
These describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents in this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties in the classification. Other duties may be assigned.
- Incumbents must keep up to date on all relevant legislation, collective bargaining agreements, County Policies and Procedures, etc. ensuring that these are implemented as prescribed
- Incumbents must possess the physical ability to meet the duties and responsibilities of the job description and/or the requirements identified within the position's Physical Demands Analysis
- Direct Supervision: None
- Indirect Supervision: None
- Functional Authority: Effectively communicates and collaborates with other staff members, industry, government and the community. May supervise project staff where required.
Minimum Formal Education:
- A degree from a recognized university in marketing, business administration/commerce, economics, diploma/degree in economic development or a combination of education and experience in a relevant discipline.
A valid Ontario driver’s license and use of a vehicle.
- Five years of experience in a related business role.
- Experience in sales, marketing and developing business and marketing plans.
- Experienced in Microsoft office suite.
- Possess excellent oral and written communications, strong presentation skills and successful client relationship management skills.
- Proven understanding and working knowledge of new media/social media marketing tools, knowledge and experience in working with government funding programs as well as the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Overnight travel, including international travel, may be an expectation of this position. As a condition of employment, each EDO must maintain (at their own expense) a current passport to facilitate international travel.
Please apply for this position on the County of Lambton Website