Department: Legislative & Planning Services
Division: Economic Development
Position: Program Assistant (Small Business Centre)
Note: At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Halton Region serves more than 580,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
Joining Halton Region opens the door to a fulfilling career. Our comprehensive compensation, great benefits and employee recognition program are a few reasons why we are one of the GTA’s Top Employers.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
This role is responsible for providing professional and timely service to customers of Halton Region’s Small Business Centre and Global Business Centre by directing them to the appropriate services and resources and providing general information in areas of small business start-up and exporting and/or referral to appropriate in-house division staff and/or other government or community resources.
The ideal candidate will possess a post-secondary diploma with emphasis on business related studies with a minimum of two years related experience in a similar environment providing front-line service to customers. To be successful in this role, the incumbent must provide exceptional customer service through their superb verbal and written communications, interpersonal and rapport building skills. Must possess demonstrated ability to multi-task, strong organization skills to maintain physical and online business resources and experience liaising with external agencies. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint) is required. Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems (Microsoft Dynamics & Siebel preferred), Google Suite, MailChimp and social media channels are assets. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required, incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Provides general information in areas of small business start-up including business structure and registration, licensing, insurance, financing and exporting and/or referral to appropriate in-house division staff and/or other government or community resources.
- Refers customers received through walk-in, telephone or e-mail to division staff for more in-depth advisory services or entry into appropriate entrepreneurship training programs.
- Maintains online and physical business information, literature and other resources available to customers of the Region’s Small Business Centre and Global Business Centre.
- Contributes to the divisional social/digital media program by posting on Twitter, Facebook and WordPress blog, as well as updating relevant website pages and online registration forms.
- Liaises with community agencies and partners to build awareness and referrals to the Centre, obtain materials and distribute a range of business related information materials.
- Inputs relevant information in divisional customer relationship management system, including client appointments and library transactions, and performs customer follow-up.
- Prepares and facilitates weekly ‘Getting Started’ information session and other client presentations.
- Prepares monthly e-newsletter, maintains featured entrepreneurship display case and success stories.
- Assists with preparation of materials for entrepreneurship programs, seminars and outreach presentations by Centre’s staff.
- Provides general support to the Centre including maintaining files and office equipment, managing subscriptions, taking minutes at meetings, supporting major divisional activities and events, tourism and cycling initiatives and projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: December 18, 2019
Posting Expiry: January 8, 2020
Posting #: LP-456-20
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.