Economic Development & Special Projects Coordinator
24 Month Contract
POSTING No. 201958
Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate that shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
You are an economic development professional who has comprehensive knowledge of leading economic development, entrepreneurial and investment practices and trends. You are an innovative thinker, with strong communication skills; a client-focused and solutions-oriented mindset and a knowledge of affordable housing best practices.
The Economic Development and Special Projects Coordinator assists in implementing key divisional and corporate cross-departmental priorities, including the Economic Development, Innovation and Culture Division’s work plan, with a focus on project coordination, research and analysis, logistical support, strategy development and implementation, and the development and delivery of an Affordable Housing program. Working in collaboration this position contributes to making Halton Hills one of the best places to live, work, play and invest.
Economic Development (approximately 75% of time)
Affordable Housing (approximately 25% of time)
- Act as a corporate subject matter expert and coordinator for Affordable Housing matters
- Research, develop and lead implementation of an Affordable Housing program
- Promote affordable housing resources to community stakeholders
- Coordinate and support the work of the Affordable Housing Working Group
- Monitor policies, data and funding announcements at the regional, provincial and federal levels and reports on their implications on the Town’s affordable housing priorities
- Lead and/or coordinate a Best Practices Review and Municipal Scan to inventory innovative approaches to addressing housing affordability
- Maintain a database of affordable housing projects, applications and potential sites
- Maintain ongoing communication with affordable housing stakeholders (e.g. Halton Region, Habitat for Humanity, Provincial government, Federal government, non-profit agencies, community groups and private sector developers)
- Post-secondary education completed in economic development, business, commerce, planning, marketing or a related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in economic development (or a related field), and/or project management and development, community outreach and construction - preferably in a municipal environment and with affordable housing-related experience.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and contact database management
- Membership with EDCO and/or EDAC and/or the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute (MCIP, RPP designation), or working towards the designation
- Certificate in Economic Development and/or professional accreditation from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (Ec.D), or working towards the certificate/designation
- Thorough understanding of best practices related to affordable housing practices, incentives, financial tools and policies – including the National Housing Strategy, Halton Region’s Comprehensive Housing Strategy
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and use ingenuity to solve unique challenges
- Knowledge of leading economic development practices and trends
- Working knowledge of municipal development processes and private-sector requirements as they related to business development and affordable housing
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze and summarize information
- Project management experience
- Proficient in the use of information technologies, including Social Media
- Ability to complete complex projects independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to develop and foster internal and external relationships
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license and access to a vehicle for business purposes
Compensation: The range for this full time contract position is $39.73 to $47.29 per hour (Based on $72,310 - $86,085 per annum)
Application: Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Town by 4:30 p.m., January 22, 2020. Please quote Posting No. 201958 on your cover letter. Please apply using only one method of application below.
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
Mail: Attn. Human Resources
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON L7G 5G2
Posting No. 201958
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources.