This pivotal role within the City of Hamilton – the most dynamic growth area in the GTHA – calls for a business, economics or marketing professional with a proven background in municipal or regional government. If you’re up to the challenge, this is an exceptional career opportunity.
Reporting to the General Manager of Planning & Economic Development, you will assume direct responsibility for Economic Development activities for the City of Hamilton, including staff in four sections: Commercial Districts and Small Business; Business Investment and Sector Development; Corporate Real Estate Office; and Municipal Land Development Office. A strategic, innovative thinker with a sound knowledge of business development, who thrives in a demanding, results-oriented environment, you will develop and implement effective, measurable programs designed to attract business investment, promote economic growth and maximize employment opportunities for Hamilton residents.
Your primary goals and objectives as Director of Economic Development will be to generate non-residential assessment growth and job creation, improve efficiencies and focus on corporate priorities, internal and external customer service, and administrative streamlining, establish long-term continuous improvement principles, and look at alternative service delivery opportunities and best practices.
With a demonstrated record of strong leadership and commitment to results, you favour a style of management that believes in delegating and empowering staff while, at the same time, providing guidance and leadership, when necessary, and modelling a high level of personal integrity and excellent communication skills.
The following profile makes you uniquely qualified for the role of Director of Economic Development:
- University degree in Business Administration, Economics or Marketing, with a substantial number of years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary environment related to economic development, small business, planning, marketing/sales, development engineering and statistical research/analysis.
- An Ec.D. or C.Ec.D. Certification, an asset.
- Previous experience in a Municipal/Regional government and a proven track record of managerial competence and, in particular, capital and operating budgets.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and presentation.
- Computer literacy and ability to work with City and external databases, GIS and CRM tools, etc.
- Working knowledge of, and experience with, Human Resources matters and collective agreements.
- Extensive experience in Corporate Real Estate and, particularly, acquisitions, divestitures, leases and appraisals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with elected officials, government departments, all levels of management, staff and the general public.
This permanent, full-time position offers a salary range of $138,576 to $177,406 per annum.
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this position as Director, Economic Development, JOB ID #15992, and to apply online, by Sunday, January 26, 2020.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.