Title: Manager of Economic Development & Tourism
Department/Division: Office of the CAO/Economic Development & Tourism
Reports To: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Date Prepared/Revised: 2020
To develop and deliver programs to support, increase and strengthen the business communities of Perth County. This role will work with business organizations on community and economic development projects that will promote Perth County tourism, public transportation, business development and stabilization. In addition the role leads Corporate communications for the County, both internal and external. The Manager, Economic Development develops and implements Economic Development policies, a multi-year strategic plan, a multi-year transportation plan and promotes the benefits of Perth County as a business location.
Management and Leadership
- Develops annual and multi-year strategic business plan in alignment with the Corporate Strategic Plan, Business Retention and Expansion (BR+E) and with specific goals and objectives in terms of economic development and action plan details.
- Executes marketing strategies pertaining to business development, retention, expansion and investment attraction initiatives within the County of Perth
- Establish meaningful contacts with all levels of government, the business community, educational institutions, and interest groups to develop economic initiatives and opportunities.
- Designs, delivers and implements a cross-jurisdictional public transportation program. Maintains and monitors program based on key performance indicators.
- Represent Perth County globally, by leading foreign direct investment portfolio. Meets with companies interested in establishing a presence in Canada. Able to assist in the negotiation of land sales and trade development.
- Responds to business investment inquiries and prepares professional promotional materials to attract investors and business to locate or expand in Perth County.
- Implements and maintains an effective local business retention and expansion program.
- On-going supervision of three staff: Tourism Officer, Economic Development and Communications Officer and Transportation Project Coordinator.
- Acts on behalf of the County by chairing or representing County interests on several external Boards. Provides subject-matter expertise on behalf of the County to advocate to all levels of government (including MPs and MPPs) on economic development, tourism and regional issues that impact Perth County and the surrounding region.
- Active member on the County’s Senior Management Team, provides support to peer group and all County staff.
- Prepares the Economic Development operating and capital budgets and co-ordinates grant programs including reporting, expenditures, compliance with program guidelines and adherence to budget.
- Develop and maintain an accessible online presence to increase the visibility of the County including Perth County website, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and other social networking sites. Ensures Economic Development information posted on the website is relevant and complies with the brand of the Corporation. Builds online information resources to attract and assist potential investors and businesses.
- Establishes and maintains external strategic relationships with the real estate community business leaders, developers, financial institutions and investors
- Conducts research to gather information and identify resources available to assist local businesses or for entrepreneurs and new businesses. Also investigates export opportunities or diversification and expansion opportunities available through government or corporate assistance programs.
- Establishes and maintains effective liaison and business development communications. Leads and facilitates economic development projects to generate business and community development.
- Promotes Regional economic development initiatives through increased online presence and serves as ambassador for the County, utilizing various opportunities to promote the County.
- Responds to all business investment inquiries and prepares professional, promotional materials to attract investors and businesses to locate or expand in Perth County. Pursues external economic development funding opportunities from senior levels of government and other sources. Ensures high degree of accuracy in all funding grants, representing not just the County, member municipalities, partner organizations and local businesses.
- Manage funding application reporting to federal and provincial ministries ensuring all required documentation, financial information and project status updates are submitted correctly and on scheduled timeline.
- Technical support management of Opportunity Lives Here regional job board portal.
- Lead the development and implementation of County Economic Development and Communications Programs and initiatives.
- Draft Policies impacting Economic Development, Tourism, Transportation and Communications.
- Liaises with County officials, businesses, potential investors, community organizations including the Chambers of Commerce, Business Associations and Community Futures Development Corporation to encourage a collaborative approach in supporting economic development initiatives. Maintains business directory and contact management system to ensure effective outreach to local businesses and organizations.
- Provides leadership support to lower-tier municipalities to deliver their economic development priorities. This includes providing technical assistance, advice, research, and supporting the sale or acquisition of property.
- Collects, maintains and analyzes statistical data from primary and secondary data sources, including Census, Employment data, website traffic reports, and municipal land prices; to ensure an ongoing understanding of market, economic, housing and labour trends that could impact the County, and develops responses to critical issues and to maintain a directory of businesses in the County. Uses this information to support task forces and committees, including the Affordable Housing Taskforce.
- Maintains expertise by attending appropriate courses, seminars and conferences and by undertaking selected reading.
- Leaders and Supervisors are responsible under the Occupational Health and Safety Act to take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of workers. This includes ensuring the Occupational Health and Safety Act and County of Perth policies and procedures are adhered to. Leaders and Supervisors are accountable for providing job specific training including awareness of job hazards and instructions on methods of control and for monitoring workers for compliance.
Read the full job description here.
The online posting is available at: