Communications & Economic Development Coordinator
Full Time (35 hours per week)
The Town of The Blue Mountains is a growing and progressive, four-season community with stunning natural features, including the Niagara Escarpment, Beaver Valley and the Georgian Bay shoreline, and the various recreational activities and experiences they afford. We are seeking to fill the permanent position of Communications and Economic Development Coordinator.
Advantages of The Blue Mountains include excellent quality of life, endless opportunities, the amenities of a complete community and proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, come join us!
- The Communications and Economic Development Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Manager of Communications and Economic Development to lead, support and advance the overall communication and economic development efforts and initiatives of the Town of The Blue Mountains.
- The Communications and Economic Development Coordinator will be required to take initiative to manage various projects and to work as part of a team to achieve high performance outcomes through the implementation of comprehensive communications and economic development projects and initiatives.
- Working as a key team member responsible for providing advice and implementing various projects and initiatives as related to communications and economic development as required.
- Regularly review, make recommendations and take action to implement the Town’s Economic Development Strategy and Communications Strategy.
- Regularly review, make recommendations and take action to further enhance and improve the Town’s economic development and corporate communication efforts.
- Act a staff resource for the Economic Development Advisory Committee and the Community Communications Advisory Committee, through assisting and supporting the overall department through the implementation of the respective strategies and programs, and in developing annual business action plans aimed at addressing the Town’s strategic economic development and corporate communication needs.
- Attend and make public presentations at Council/Committee meetings as required.
- Work collaboratively with various community associations and organizations including but not limited to the Thornbury Business Improvement Area, Clarksburg Village Association, Blue Mountain Village Association and the Blue Mountains Chamber of Commerce.
- Coordinate and implement communication efforts to assist Town departments through the use of various communication tools including but not limited to: Town website, email newsletters, printed newsletters and publications, social media posts, surveys, tax bill inserts, radio advertisements, etc.
- Act as the backup corporate media relations contact and advisor for the Town.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Completion of a three-year college diploma or four-year university degree in a related discipline, (within Administration / Marketing, Economic Development, Business Development, Community Development, Project Management or Public Relations / Communications) or acceptable combination of post-secondary education and relevant work experience.
- Minimum two years of demonstrated experience, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience related to the items listed within the job posting preferably in a public sector environment.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge and the application of the principles of economic development and/or business development.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in public relations and/or communications including writing, editing, designing, layout and production of print and electronic communications.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects and to take initiative.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable making presentations and speaking in public.
- Strong understanding of the economic situation/opportunity within the South Georgian Bay area.
- Previous experience in communications including writing press releases, conducting research, updating website content, and social media management is required.
- Requires excellent attention to detail, organization and communication skills. Ability to work well with people at all levels and to handle the stresses and pressures that are associated with the position with maturity and a positive attitude.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to organize, shift priorities, multi-task and work independently.
- Working knowledge of general office/administrative tasks.
- Working knowledge of municipal government, legislation, and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public, staff and officials at all levels, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and priorities and the ability to adapt to changing situations and flexibility is important.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), graphics and web publishing applications (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator), and social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Availability to be flexible and work unscheduled overtime and modified hours as may be required.
Information for Interested Candidates:
A detailed job description and instructions on how to apply are available on the Town’s website, www.thebluemountains.ca under Town Hall - Employment Opportunities.
The submission deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday June 30th, 2020.
Annual Salary Range: $57,308 - $67,043 (2020 Rate).
Full Time – 1 Position Available
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Personal information provided by the applicants is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.