THE CORPORATION OF NORFOLK COUNTY – JOB POSTING # NU 12.20
Position: Director, Strategic Innovation and Economic Development
Status: Permanent Full Time
Employee Group: Non-Union
Salary: $93,804 – $117,257 per annum
Division: Planning and Development
Posting Period: July 13, 2020 – August 4, 2020
Department: Economic Development and Tourism
Reports To: General Manager, Planning and Development
Location: Simcoe, ON
How to apply to this position:
Follow the link below for the application process:
Promote and encourage balanced industrial, commercial, residential, industrial and tourism growth and development according to Council’s policies and priorities with a view to providing increased assessment, employment and social opportunities.
The director is expected to be a key participant in the development of the County’s strategic plans as well as a developer of talent within the organization.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Commerce, Economic Development, Public Administration or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience, demonstrating leadership and responsibility of team members.
- Certifications through the Economic Developers of Canada Ec.D. would be considered an asset.
- Membership with EDCO / EDAC would be considered an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Innovative and strategic thinking, including experience with creating new things or new approaches.
- Understanding of “roadblocks” and the ability to influence or break down barriers.
- Agile/nimble/flexible with working styles and assignments.
- Demonstrated relationship building and networking.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to leadership values, including a shared vision, enabling others to act, collaborative teamwork along with change and growth.
- Thorough knowledge of Municipal Government decision making processes, policies and procedures as well as applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with the business community, development industry, staff and council.
- Knowledge of provincial and federal government programs and funding opportunities.
- Experience in the direction of dynamic marketing and promotional materials.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software.
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Develop integrated economic development and tourism goals, strategies, objectives and business plans in concert with approved Corporate Strategic Goals, and directs the Department's operations to achieve those goals.
- Negotiate with representatives of business, industry, commerce and government to influence and facilitate the establishment and growth of business, agriculture and tourism development.
- Responsible for attracting desired industrial, commercial, retail, and professional investment to the County by conducting economic research and analyzing business surveys, socio-economic data, labour statistics, population and existing business/residential assessment base.
- Support business retention and growth, ensuring there is an appropriate balance of employment opportunities in relation to residential growth and encouraging new jobs in a variety of accessible places.
- Work with the employment second to utilize environmentally sustainable practices and cost-efficient measures.
- Create innovation networks in the agricultural, industrial, tourism and commerce fields.Strategize and provide recommendations regarding impacts of the new economy, the “new normal”, and increased virtual business.
- Develop and maintain networks between the County and Federal and Provincial governments relating to the Department
- Establish a collaborative environment with the business community and related partners with the goal of innovation and enhancement of the economic status of the county.
- Develop and implement the Department's operating and capital budgets, monitor and take appropriate actions to ensure adherence to the approved budgets.
- Develop strategic economic development initiatives and coordinate overall department business/work plans.
- Manage the preparation, assembly, and dissemination of data and analysis, in support of the local economy.
- Facilitate growth and development of tourism in Norfolk County.
- Support the development and maintenance of a County Employment Land Inventory to help ensure an appropriate supply of employment land. Investigate the creation of a special purpose corporation to hold, develop, and make available strategic employment lands.
- Participate as a member of the Division Management Team, under the direction of the General Manager, and contribute to the development of Corporate goals and objectives.
- Work closely with professional and technical staff within the Municipality to streamline approval processes and to maximize economic development and tourism potential opportunities.
- Prepare and present information/ briefing reports related to Department issues and recommend specific actions required to update Council, the Senior Leadership Team and others.
- Administer applicable legislation and regulations relevant to the Department; including relevant collective agreements and other corporate policies.
- Oversee and manage (with program parameters) the grant programs offered by the County.
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure that corporate goals and objectives are always in consideration by Department staff and meet the overall goals of the County as they relate to economic development.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of appropriate policies and procedures that support the effective operation of the Department.
- Develop and deliver cost-effective programs and services for the County.
- Provide/ practice effective public relations to sustain a positive image for Norfolk County.
- Provide strategic advice and direction on other initiatives that support economic development, such as special events, arts and culture, institutional support and overall development of a healthy community.
- Chairs/participates on committees, task forces, and special projects. Represents the County on external committees, meetings, and economic development focused forums.
- Establish and maintain relationships with peers and counterparts in other organizations.
- Act as a resource for Chambers of Commerce and other business associations.
- Undertake activities as per all lawful instruction and direction received from the General Manager, ensuring compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education, transcripts preferred.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.