POSITION ID: 3918-001 and 3918-002 CALL NO. 20-2007 (CUPE 1329)
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for the interview is 75%.
Job Designation: Senior Economic Development Officer
Department: Economic Development and Strategic Initiatives
Salary Range: $85,535 - $104,303
Pay Grade: 13
Reporting to the Manager of Economic Development, this position is responsible for initiatives, programs and customer service associated with new investment and business retention and expansion, in order to generate new property tax assessment and employment in the Town of Oakville.
There are two Senior Economic Development Officer positions available. One position will primarily focus on new investment and the other on business retention and expansion however the positions work collaboratively and provide support to each other as needed.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive investment attraction strategy and action plan, including the development of an investment attraction marketing strategy.
- Prepare comprehensive site selection proposals for new investment and respond to inquiries from companies, developers, site selectors and ICI brokers. Deliver presentations/pitches regarding new investment opportunities.
- Provide assistance to applicants in the development approval process including coordinating meetings with internal and/or external stakeholders to help resolve complex problems.
- Lead and/or work with department staff on collaborative projects including the Economic Development Strategy, COVID recovery initiatives, and sector and supply-chain strategies.
- Develop and implement strategies for business retention and expansion, including a comprehensive corporate calling program.
- Act as Town liaison for Oakville’s three Business Improvement Areas including providing information and assistance to the BIAs as needed, and lead or participate in coordinated initiatives.
- Promote and administer the Town’s Brownfield Community Improvement Plan.
- Assess and implement changes for improved customer service delivery with respect to a One Window for Filming in Oakville. Update related policies and procedures. Work with the Economic Development and Research Officer to oversee the coordination of commercial filming.
- Plan and coordinate Ontario Auto Mayor’s initiatives in partnership with the Mayor’s office and economic development staff from across Ontario, in support of the automotive industry.
- Develop and maintain relationships with developers, investors, real estate agents, site selectors, the Chamber of Commerce and the business community in respect of development initiatives, issues and processes.
- Work with Toronto Global, Halton Region, as well as provincial and federal ministries regarding program initiatives and development opportunities.
- Coordinate and attend trade shows and events to promote the Town as an investment destination and support industry partners’ events via attendance and networking.
- Participate on cross-departmental or corporate teams or projects, as required.
- Develop, maintain and use CRM system.
- Provide input for departmental publications including the annual Economic Development report.
- Develop and implement an annual work plan and track progress in accordance with departmental performance indicators.
- Prepare reports and presentations for Council.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Business, Economic Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, or Economics.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in economic development.
- Eligibility for certification from the Economic Developers Association of Canada or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of real estate practices and an understanding of the Provincial Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act and the Town of Oakville’s Official Plan.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation, project management and leadership skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team setting.
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer applications including GIS, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Salesforce and internet search engines.
- The successful candidate will be required to supply their own personal vehicle for performing job duties/corporate business.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the employment section no later than midnight on July 31, 2020.
DATED: July 17, 2020
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.