The Town of Lakeshore is a beautiful Municipality situated in southern Ontario along Lake St. Clair. The Town of Lakeshore enjoys a temperate climate year round with more than 200 growing days. Lakeshore's affordable lakefront community enjoys over 35 km of waterfront, low taxes, a high quality of life and abundant recreational opportunities with many family friendly parks, recreation programs, a multi-use recreation centre, the Atlas Tube Centre including pools, 3 ice pads, gyms, and much more. The Town services municipal infrastructure extending over 537 kms of roads, 37 parks and conservation areas, 2 water treatment plants, several pumping stations, solid waste collection, pollution control and many kilometres of utility infrastructure.
Find our more about the Town of Lakeshore at www.lakeshore.ca
The Town of Lakeshore is a great place to live, work and play. The Town of Lakeshore has a population of 37,000 and is one of the fastest growing communities in Southern Ontario. Due to this growth the Town has an exciting and dynamic opportunity for an Economic Development Officer to collaborate in the responsible and sustainable development of growth of the municipality. This position reports to the Director of Community and Development Services and is responsible for planning, managing and implementing the Town’s economic development program. The Economic Development Officer will be a catalyst for change by working with government and the private sector to build healthy sustainable communities. This position will have a hand in creating local economic opportunities while improving quality of life. In addition, this position will be responsible for the development and implementation of an economic development plan for the Town, coordination of economic development and tourism related initiatives for the Town and liaising and collaborating with new and existing businesses, internal departments, the County, the Windsor-Essex Economic Development Corporation, and the Provincial and Federal levels of government.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma or Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in economic development, business administration, marketing, economics, urban planning or a related field. A Master’s Degree in one of the stated disciplines is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of progressive experience in economic development, marketing or a closely related field, focusing on the attraction and retention of businesses, preferably in a municipal environment.
- A broad knowledge of business and all levels of government.
- An ability to handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with diverse groups of people and interests.
- Preference given to individuals with an Ec. D from the Economic Developers Association of Canada or equivalent certification.
- Demonstrated skills in developing effective relationships with government, businesses, community stakeholders and other agencies.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of theories, principles and practices in economic development policy, administration and implementation.
- Strong knowledge of operations, services and activities of a comprehensive municipal economic development program.
- Experience analyzing and assessing economic development opportunities, programs, policies and operational needs.
- Experience working with confidential and sensitive business and organizational issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of rural issues and affairs, provincial legislation affecting agriculture and rural communities is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate and prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports, both orally and in writing.
- Experience with the preparation and strategic implementation of websites and social media.
- Maintain a valid Ontario driver's license.
- Manage, oversee and coordinate the Town’s economic development and tourism efforts.
- Provide advice and guidance to Town staff and through the Director to Council on matters relating to economic development and tourism for the Town of Lakeshore.
- Develop and implement the Town of Lakeshore’s goals, objectives, policies and standards related to economic development and tourism activities and programs.
- Develop, implement and maintain an economic development master plan.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy to promote the Town and to attract new businesses and residents to the Town; including the development of resources to support, implement and monitor the effectiveness of marketing strategies.
- Prepare periodic reports indicating related activities and progress towards goals and objectives.
- Liaise with landowners/property owners and prospective tenants to encourage retail, commercial and industrial development.
- Act as the primary Town contact for business and investor inquiries.
- Develop of marketing and information materials appropriate for developers, existing and prospective businesses and other stakeholders.
- Support the implementation and expansion of the Town’s community improvement program including marketing and application intake.
- Assemble, develop, distribute and analyze demographic and economic information for internal and external use.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the economic development and tourism program budget.
- Interact with area Business Improvement Area Board and similar groups to promote business.
- Represent the Town of Lakeshore at selected trade shows and meetings related to economic development and tourism.
- Develop collaborative relationships with outside agencies and professional consultants as well as various levels of government as required.
- Act as an advisor to various government and community stakeholder groups or boards and other organizations on matters related to economic development within the Town of Lakeshore.
- Develop and implement plans to identify and market the Town of Lakeshore and establish superior brand recognition in the marketplace.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of economic development and tourism.
- Work with regional partners to research the feasibility of developing a municipal or regional public transit system.
- Work with the appropriate departments and levels of government to develop and implement a signage program consisting of gateway and tourism directional signage.
- Coordinate the cross-functional internal review of the Town’s surplus lands and other real estate requests.
- Oversee and collaborate with the Recreation Division regarding Town-funded local special events and celebrations to consider tourism and economic development potential (e.g. Canada Day Celebrations).
- Perform other special projects, duties and responsibilities as required.
Decision Making & Judgement:
- Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Community and Development Services.
- Developing and recommending economic development and tourism policies and standards to the Director for approval by Council.
- Developing and recommending long and short-term economic development and tourism plans to the Director for approval by Council.
- Well-developed political acuity skills to deal with confidential matters with tact and sensitivity.
- Events Coordinator
- Student and/or interns
- Develop, implement and manage the budget for the Economic Development program with the Director of Community and Development Services; monitors budget performance; and, reports variances to the Director.
- Assist in setting service level goals and monitors against financial targets.
Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with members of Council, staff and the public. Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and must be able to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently.
Highly developed interpersonal skills to work with management, fellow employees and the public in a professional capacity.
- With all levels of management, staff and Council
- With various levels of government
- With various government agencies (WEEDC, TWEPI)
- With regional municipal Economic Development professionals
- Community Stakeholder groups (e.g. BIA)
- Engineers, planners, realtors, site selectors, consultants, lawyers, and other professionals
- Confidential office
- Some travel may be required.
Control over Work Schedule
- Works within an office environment with office hours being 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week)
- Overtime may be required. Lieu time is capped at 35 hours per year.
- May be required to attend Council and Committee meetings. Work is subject to deadlines and may be required to work overtime to handle workload.
Coaching & mentoring
Tact & Discretion
Networking & relationship building
Compensation includes benefits. The salary range for this position is $89,292 to $104,446. Qualified applicants interested in the position are to apply online through our website at https://careers.lakeshore.ca. The deadline to apply is 9:00 am on September 21, 2020.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for this competition. The Town of Lakeshore is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations under the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) will be provided upon request.