The City of Greater Sudbury seeks a dynamic economic development professional to join its Executive Leadership Team to drive the strategy and implementation of the Corporation’s business development, tourism development, entrepreneurship and investment attraction efforts.
Greater Sudbury is Canada’s Resourceful City, enjoying a global presence as a hub for mining technology and services innovation, a regional presence as the hub for tourism, education, health and retail for a catchment area of 550,000 people, and a local reputation for an outstanding quality of life that combines urban amenities and accessible wilderness.
As Director of Economic Development, you will be an advocate and leader in development for this vibrant and exciting city. Supported by an enthusiastic municipal council and assisted by an engaged development corporation board, community partners, and a dynamic City staff, you will pursue existing strategies and cultivate a business friendly environment both inside and outside city hall. You will work to connect prospective companies with the decision makers, potential funders, partners, educational and training resources they need to launch, expand or diversify their business and to overcome barriers to business development.
This is a challenging and critical team leadership role. Bring your diplomacy, negotiation, communication, team leadership skills and integrity to create a climate of support for investment and achieve results. You will possess a track record in business recruitment and retention or project development, along with credibility and ability to orchestrate thriving alliances. An entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong business acumen is essential. You will understand how to engage community stakeholders, foster civic support, cultivate entrepreneurship and stimulate the on-going development of a dynamic and healthy city.
- University degree in a related discipline (e.g. Business Administration, Commerce and/or Economics) from a recognized University with Canadian accreditation.
- Additional education initiatives to update and expand competencies.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in a large, unionized, and highly diversified public or private sector organization, including four (4) years managing an economic development function as it pertains to tourism and convention development services.
- College Diploma in a related discipline (e.g. Business Administration, Commerce and/or Economics) from a recognized Community College with Canadian accreditation.
Additional education initiatives to update and expand competencies.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in a large, unionized, and highly diversified public or private sector organization, including four (4) years managing an economic development function as it pertains to tourism and convention development services.
- Strong understanding of best practices in the field of economic development, including the role of tourism, culture and community vibrancy.
- Current and emerging management and business issues within and outside CGS as they affect Economic Development and Planning Services.
- Strong internal and external relationship management skills, including the ability to influence, engage and align multiple stakeholders in the development and implementation of strategies.
- Strong mentoring, coaching and knowledge-sharing skills and ability to interact and work effectively with staff.
- Ability to direct a wide range of activities from big picture strategies to detail-oriented projects.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse emerging issues and develop strategic responses.
- Proven project management skills including vendor management.
- Highly motivated innovative and strategic thinker.
$122,262.84 to $143,985.87 per annum.
How to Apply
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please visit our website at www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. by e-mail to: email@example.com or fax number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
Please reference the Employment Opportunity number EX20-451 on your resume.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.
About Greater Sudbury
The City of Greater Sudbury is centrally located in Northeastern Ontario at the convergence of three major highways. It is situated on the Canadian Shield in the Great Lakes Basin and is composed of a rich mix of urban, suburban, rural and wilderness environments. Greater Sudbury is 3,627 square kilometres in area, making it geographically the largest municipality in Ontario and second largest in Canada. Greater Sudbury is considered a city of lakes, containing 330 lakes and the largest lake contained within a city, Lake Wanapitei.
The City of Greater Sudbury is one of the largest employers in the city with approximately 3,000 employees. Our employees play a key role in providing essential services to residents across the community. Our residents and employees have access to all of the services found in large, urban centres, coupled with untouched natural beauty and several provincial parks nearby.