Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
COORDINATOR, FDI AFRICA & CARIBBEAN MARKETS
POSTING NUMBER: 103941
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $79,926.00 - $89,917.00 PER ANNUM
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $99,908.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Investment Attraction, this role will develop and implement a plan to attract inward investment to Brampton from African and Caribbean markets.
The Coordinator will foster partnerships and identify opportunities for investments and job growth in the City of Brampton by generating quality leads and providing superior client consultation services to business prospects. This role will lead the coordination of the City’s participation in incoming delegations from African and Caribbean countries; and coordinate outbound missions to these markets.
This position encompasses multi-stakeholder engagement, significant research and analysis and requires excellent communication and presentation skills. A strong background in Economic Development in African and Caribbean markets is required. The Coordinator, FDI African & Caribbean Markets, provides project management expertise for the development and implementation of initiatives while establishing a positive and authentic image for Brampton as an ideal location to invest.
- Develop and implement a plan to attract inward investment to Brampton from African and Caribbean markets;
- Generate high quality investment leads and work with ED team to close deals;
- Coordinate and participate in missions, events and activities that will help build relationships with African and Caribbean markets;
- Lead and participate on cross-divisional project teams within the City and with other stakeholders as required to implement approved projects;
- Constantly update own knowledge of Brampton’s assets while continuously building an understanding of the city’s value propositions for businesses looking to locate or expand in Brampton;
- Develop and implement tactics based on Brampton’s value proposition to specifically target African and Caribbean markets;
- Research and consolidate relevant information in the preparation of copy for all corresponding mission narratives, statistics, PowerPoint presentations, council reports, social media and media releases (pre and post mission) that will effectively build a business case for Brampton as an ideal global business location;
- Track the development of leads, contacts, opportunities, and the progression of lead generation campaigns in CRM;
- Stay current on key and future business trends, including international trade agreements specific to African and Caribbean markets, and any developments that impact Brampton’s competitiveness;
- Identify factors which may impact project success and provide mitigation strategies to address these factors;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide customer service support to prospective investment clients from African and Caribbean markets while promoting Brampton as an ideal business expansion location;
- Respond and handle public enquiries; prioritize requests and escalate for resolution as required to meet corporate service standards;
- Build and maintain a relationship with cross-functional departments, team, management and externally, to foster and support coordination while carrying out accountabilities;
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills to deal effectively and tactfully with a broad range of senior management personnel, elected officials, staff, external agencies, other levels of government and the general public.
- Manage communication plans to ensure timely messaging with Mayor and members of Council, internal and external stakeholders;
- Create and maintain detailed project documentation and ensure all necessary sign-offs and approvals meet corporate policies and confidentiality requirements;
- Achieve departmental operational objectives by contributing expertise, information and recommendations to strategic plans and progress reviews, including preparing and completing business and action plans specific to attracting investment from the African and Caribbean markets;
- Prepare presentations and reports that include measurement of progress against set project goals and objectives;
- Act as the main point of contact for content and production of materials and assist with content and proof approvals.
- Lead and facilitate research and engagement strategies using internal and external project teams to support project planning and implementation objectives;
- Participate in business reviews to improve service delivery and integration with other key city departments;
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations to assist in the revision of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure the needs of stakeholders are continually met.
- Use effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines;
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, assists in preparing annual budgets, scheduling expenditures, analysing variances and initiating corrective actions.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Manage, lead and facilitate project coordination and team meetings as required to meet project needs;
- Work well within diverse groups in support of project and operational goals and objectives;
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in economic development, business administration, public relations, sales and marketing or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ experience in municipal economic development, corporate business development and marketing. Project management experience and application of methodology.
- Advanced knowledge, experience or exposure of investment attraction strategies within African and Caribbean markets and best practices and techniques within a municipal setting.
- Project management experience and application of methodology.
- Experience providing excellent customer service, networking with diverse groups and building strong relationships.
- Exceptional communication and analytical skills.
- Computer proficiency with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Customer Relationship Management software (CRM).
- Solid organizational skills; detail oriented and well organized to coordinate activities and tasks meeting conflicting priorities and timelines.
- Excellent report writing and demonstrated track record in presenting to small and large groups.
- Knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations is an asset.
- Valid Ontario non-probationary Class G driver’s License and have access to a personal vehicle.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job Status: Permanent
Job Type: Management and Administration
Applications must be received by: January 21, 2021
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103941 by January 21, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874-2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.