Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
COORDINATOR, INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
POSTING NUMBER: 103942
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $79,926.00 - $89,917.00 PER ANNUM
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $99,908.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Innovation and Technology Sector Manager, Economic Development, the Innovation and Technology Coordinator plays a critical role in growing the City of Brampton’s innovation and technology ecosystem that will coincide with the newly created Innovation District. The Coordinator will support the Innovation and Technology Sector Manager by producing innovative programming for talent development; forge relationships with corporate, educational and non-profit organizations and a credible network immersed in the innovation and technology space; and drive interest into the ecosystem. The purpose of the Coordinator’s activities is to support technology-sector business development and support job creation to meet the City’s vision to be a world-class city of opportunity.
- Manage and execute projects focusing on talent development, business attraction and retention in alignment with the Economic Development Master Plan and/or Brampton Innovation District within allocated budget and in compliance with purchasing policy and procedures, as defined within RFPs, negotiated contracts and City regulations
- Use data-driven analysis to research and develop new projects and enhance the execution and programming of existing projects
- Leverage ecosystem partnerships through multi-year engagements to develop activation plans and advance our strategic objectives
- Coordinating and executing on foreign and domestic investment missions
- Scope includes managing events, programmatic activations, partnership launches, trade shows
- Prepare executive briefs for senior management that include outcomes, strengths and recommendations
- Identify and provide recommendations for new innovation-related programs, speaking and partnership opportunities from current and potential partners that support the strategic outcomes and amplify the Innovation and Technology narrative
- Support the creation a long-term roadmap based upon KPIs to deliver on ecosystem growth
- Maintain current knowledge of local economic trends and policy, which impacts businesses and provide presentations before stakeholders
- Support partner discovery and development to expand on the City of Brampton’s Innovation sector
- Liaise with businesses, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and ecosystem partners to attract investment
- With Sector Manager support, develop a strategic framework to identify and monitor prospective opportunities, needs, strengths and participation of stakeholders and partners
- Conduct business visits. Collaborate with identified new and existing companies, to nurture relationships and ensure business growth services,
Implementation of Marketing/Communications Initiatives
- Coordinate with the Strategic Communications team to prepare speaking notes and develop marketing collateral in alignment with the Innovation and Technology Sector messaging for public distribution
- Write thorough marketing briefs with expected outcomes
- Generate and present content ideas that supports the innovation narrative
- With Sector Manager support, prepare summary briefs, PowerPoint decks, council reports, media releases and graphical data
Champion Thinking and Ambassadorship
- Facilitate outcome-driven meetings with partners and working committees, utilizing best practices for diplomacy and negotiations where you track, document and implement ideas
- Champion the Innovation District and the Innovation and Technology Sector, promoting messaging to internal and external stakeholders
- Actively promote program launches, business profiles and sector successes
- Develop metric-driven goals in alignment with sector KPIs per project to measure success and impact of Innovation and Technology initiatives
- Collect and compile data-driven feedback from partners, event participants, and community members and provide analysis and recommendations for program refinement
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in economic development, business administration, public relations, sales and marketing or equivalent.
- Partial or full completion of EcD professional designation an asset.
- 3+ years work experience in a similar partnerships and program/project management role and experience with events management, planning and execution specific to Innovation ecosystems
- Proven track-record of forging and nurturing relationships
- Experience in writing briefs and preparing presentations to executive audiences
- Driven by solutions and outcomes with a thorough attentiveness to detail
- Strong acumen with Customer Relationship Management softwares and Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel and Word)
- Innate interpersonal skills and excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- Understands, incorporates feedback and best practices from business and technical backgrounds
- Ability to articulate a vision clearly and concisely to stakeholders
- Ability to navigate ambiguity with a high degree of business acumen
- Partial or full completion of EcD professional designation an asset
- Experience with start-up entrepreneurship is an asset
- Valid Ontario non-probationary Class G driver’s License and have access to a personal vehicle.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job Status: Permanent
Job Type: Management and Administration
Applications must be received by: January 31, 2021
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103942 by January 31, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874-2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.