With offices in Europe, Asia and the Americas, the Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade's International Trade & Investment Offices are headed by people familiar with the needs of their particular market—and the business advantages Ontario can offer it. We are also an important resource for local economic development offices interested in attracting foreign investment or finding export markets.
Situated in the Canadian Consulate General in Shanghai, China, a unique four-year opportunity exists with the Ministry to represent Ontario in Shanghai, Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao and Provinces of Anhui, Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi and Zhejiang. Bring your strong knowledge of global economic development and trade issues to promote and project Ontario's image for business opportunities.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this high profile role, you will:
Note: you will be working at the Canadian Consulate General located in Shanghai, China.
- Work closely with provincial and federal colleagues around the world to drive investment, trade and science & technology opportunities for Ontario
- Actively promote Ontario as a destination for foreign direct investment and as a partner for international trade
- Assist in determining specific priorities, objectives and strategies for trade, investment and general business relations within the territory and within China more broadly
- Propose to the ministry annual programming for the territory and implement as approved
- Raise Ontario's international profile through strategic channels, including media, social media and speaking opportunities
- Initiate and support incoming business delegations from Ontario
- Actively support the planning and implementation of Ministerial and Premier-led trade missions
- Provide advice to senior government and business leaders
- Provide high-quality intelligence on the territory
- Work with various ministries, levels of government, private-sector companies and organizations, and academic institutions on opportunities to advance Ontario's interests in the territory and China
How do I qualify?
Note: the above-noted requirement will also apply to any family members that may accompany the successful candidate to the host country
- You have the ability to obtain and maintain Canadian Diplomatic Passport and Diplomatic Accreditation / Visa in host country (cannot hold citizenship of host country)
- You are a Canadian Citizen
- You have the ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret Security Clearance from the Government of Canada
- You are able to undergo Medical / Fitness for Duty Assessment
- You are proficient in English and Mandarin
- You have extensive knowledge of Ontario's business, economic and innovation interests and objectives in the territory to attract investment and trade and build Ontario's innovation ecosystem
- You have sound knowledge of Ontario's and Chinese governments, economies, decision-making processes and business cultures
- You have knowledge of policy development, decision-making and program delivery processes
Stakeholder Management and Consultation Skills:
- You can provide high-level consultation, advice and recommendations to senior officials to promote Ontario's business interests in the territory
- You have negotiation skills to guide and influence stakeholder decisions
- You demonstrate a high degree of political acuity to understand Ontario and China's socio-economic and political issues and identify potential opportunities, issues and impacts
Project and Issues Management Skills:
- You have analytical and problem-solving skills to synthesize complex and sensitive material, and handle a wide range of business issues
- You have leadership and project management skills to lead complex projects and initiatives
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- You have interpersonal and oral communication skills to give presentations, chair meetings and represent the organization
- You have written communication skills to write high-level correspondence, briefing notes and reports
- You can prepare spreadsheets, correspondence, conduct research and prepare reports using computer software
Salary Range: $88,653 - $136,581 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 48 months, 250 Yonge St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 149127, by Thursday, September 10, 2020. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.