Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Job Number: PN-21-13
Job Type: Permanent Full-time, Non-Union
Closing Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2021
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Economic and Creative Development Department is part of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. This department is responsible for the attraction and facilitation of new business investment, and helping employers access the business opportunities of the area. They encourage and promote the creation of new Barrie-based enterprises, including start-ups and small business services. They also support the retention, growth, and expansion of the City's existing businesses. This includes bringing stakeholders together on strategic programs.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Director of Economic and Creative Development, the Manager of Business Development will be responsible for delivering service excellence and responsible for implementing the vision, strategy, and initiatives in support of the goals of the Department. This role manages day-to-day operations focusing on the core economic development functions of investment servicing, investment attraction, business retention and expansion and strategic sector and talent development, the Manager of Business Development will lead a team of economic developers in delivering a robust economic development program. The Manager of Business Development will implement strategies and marketing initiatives to encourage growth of the municipality's economic base by responding to the economic needs of local industry, overseeing the completion of research, development of marketing/promotion materials, and overall developing and recommending business development policies and initiatives to build on the City's position as a premiere investment destination.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Four (4) year University Degree in Business, Public Administration, Economics, Marketing, Communications, or related discipline
- Seven (7) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities, including four (4) years of demonstrated supervisory/management experience. Demonstrated experience delivering the fundamentals of an economic development program, including investment attraction, investment servicing, business retention & expansion and talent attraction in a municipal or related work environment.
- General knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements: Municipal Act Planning Act
- Working knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements: - Corporate policies and by-laws (i.e., land sale policy, purchasing policy, Code of Conduct, Health & Safety) - Urban design guidelines - Official Plan and Zoning By-law - Business Licensing
- Working knowledge of the following principles and standards: - Invest Barrie Goals/Objectives/Action Plan - Project Management - Knowledge of municipal affairs, business principles, real estate as well as geographic and socio-economic characteristics of the City of Barrie
- Thorough knowledge of the following principles and standards: economic development practices and principles; management principles; labour relations principles, collective agreement administration; and contemporary management practices.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Lead a Business Development team in a management capacity to deliver a suite of economic development programs and practices to achieve employment and non-residential tax base growth
- Good understanding of real estate principals, business finance/economics and local government decision making process and overall municipal policies and practices
- Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community/business service environment, building strong alliances/partnerships/relationships with internal and external stakeholders to delivery results and achieve departmental and corporate goals and objectives while maintaining a high standard of public relations at all times
- Project manage, review, analyze, and make recommendations, formulate solutions, implement new initiatives regarding strategic projects, which involves the consideration of technical issues, procedural issues, and political sensitivities
- Explore broad issues and recognize trends in Economic Development at a macro and micro level, and conduct research, prepare reports, and deliver presentations,
- Align branch programs/services, budget allocations, time and human resources to achieve overall branch, department and corporate goals, objectives, and initiatives
- Analyze complex issues and problems, evaluate alternative solutions, and develop sound conclusions, recommendations and courses of action
- Receive, manage, and resolve complaints, disputes, and conflict, diffuse emotionally-charged situations and resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Exercise discretion and judgment when handling confidential, sensitive, politically sensitive, or controversial information
- Build cohesive and motivated teams and leads, coaches and mentors staff in achieving objectives, inspiring innovation, and encourages others to work in manner that will meet or exceed the desired objectives or results
Conditions of Employment
- Basic skills include: Research
- Intermediate skills include: Administrative; Attention to Detail; Customer Service; Facilitation; Initiative; Judgment; Multitasking; Organizational; Public Engagement; Report-writing
- Advanced skills include: Analytical; Business Acumen; Collaboration; Interpersonal; Leadership; Negotiation; Presentation; Prioritization; Problem Solving; Project Management; Public Relations; Report-writing; Supervisory; Teamwork; Time Management; Verbal Communication; Written Communication
- Basic computer literacy using the following systems and software: Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word), database software, electronic tracking systems, and the Internet
- Intermediate computer literacy using the following systems and software: Basic computer literacy using the following systems and software: Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word), database software, electronic tracking systems, and the Internet
- Availability to attend evening/weekend meetings or to work outside of designated normal hours per week
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License in good standing with a reliable vehicle for use on corporate business
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Other Important Information
Location: City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario
Hours: The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week; however, some non-standard hours may apply.
Wage: This a permanent full-time non-union position with the following pay level and 2021 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 14
- Yearly Salary: $98,663.18 to $125,924.57 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $54.21 to $69.19 per hour
Benefits: This position includes a comprehensive non-union benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, OMERS pension plan, discounted rate for City Fitness Memberships and much more.
The Application Process
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting PN-21-13 – Manager of Business Development (Extended Deadline) in the subject line (MS Word or pdf format only) to email Hire.Me@Barrie.ca by Wednesday, April 7, 2021.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: F
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Personal information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) for the purpose of candidate selection.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing Hire.Me@Barrie.ca.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.