Peterborough & Kawartha Economic Development
Economic Development Officer - Tourism
Type: Permanent, full-time 35 hours/week
Salary: $52,167/yr. (Includes Health & Dental Benefit Package, OMERS pension plan, Employee Assistance Program)
Location: PKED Offices (270 George St. N., Peterborough)
Posting Date: September 6, 2022
Closing Date: September 26, 2022
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development (PKED) is a non-profit corporation responsible for the delivery of economic development and tourism services on behalf of the City of Peterborough and County of Peterborough. We play a leadership and strategic role in developing the economic capacity of the Peterborough region.
PKED operates Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism (PKT) which is the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) for the region. PKT provides industry leadership and destination marketing services to attract visitors to the region and operates the year-round Visitor Centre located in the Venture North Building.
PKED also operates the Business Advisory Centre (BAC) which is one of 54 Small Business Centres in the Province of Ontario, serving as an entrepreneur’s first point of contact with the business support community. Services, consultations, tools and resources are delivered to help start-ups and small businesses succeed.
We have a team of dynamic professionals who offer economic expertise that identifies growth opportunities, provides services to existing ventures, and attracts new companies and visitors by sharing the region’s competitive advantages.
Reporting to the Director of Tourism, the Economic Development Officer - Tourism works as part of a high-energy team, responding to lead and advancement inquiries. Playing a critical supporting role to attract new tourism business investment to the region, this position also works with existing local tourism businesses to identify opportunities for growth as well as proactively identify challenges that may cause a business to consider relocation. The Economic Development Officer - Tourism works with key partners across the business, academic, sustainable and innovative community to create long-term growth and prosperity for the region. This position provides one-on-one, on-site consultation with businesses to explore matters such as marketing opportunities, operational and financing challenges, human resources issues, and strategic planning.
The incumbent will have proven experience in a sales environment with a strong understanding of proactively developing relationships within the tourism industry to attract meetings, conferences, group travel and sports events to the region. This role requires an ability to “close sales” and meet targets to generate revenue for local tourism businesses.
The expected outcomes of this role are to attract, retain and expand existing tourism-based events and businesses which will ultimately generate high-value jobs in the Peterborough & Kawarthas region.
Attract, Retain and Grow the Existing Business Base: 30%
- Engage with regional businesses to assess their needs and goals, with a focus on unique challenges and opportunities that may exist for businesses in this community.
- Conduct regular outreach activities and meet with clients pursuing expansion and relocation opportunities by providing services such as:
o Identifying available properties
o Facilitating local and external supply chain network connections
o Supporting funding applications through government channels
o Referring clients to team members or third parties for additional support
o Advising of various financial, workforce development, marketing, and other planning resources that are available to them in the community.
o Providing information on programs and government regulations relevant to business retention and expansion.
o Acting as a liaison and facilitator for regional companies pursuing business to business leads.
o Prepare relevant business materials specific to the client’s request (such as maps of a site, zoning information, multiple properties)
- Based on data gathered from site visits, effectively communicate to key stakeholders in the community regarding the health and wellbeing of the business community and local/regional economy, and any rising challenges such as labour and workforce issues in the community.
- Coordinate seamless concierge and after-care for businesses locating and expanding in this region.
- Prepare and present relevant economic development activities and reports to various audiences, which include collected data as well as a detailed analysis of businesses and services in this region.
- Develop a working knowledge of key industry growth sectors in the region, identify prospective investment and expansion leads and follow up with outreach calls, visits, meetings and/or real estate tours.
- Develop and maintain proposal materials and packages for investors, intermediaries and businesses in key sectors
- Organize and conduct tours to showcase regional assets for prospective investors and incoming delegations.
- Liaise with economic development staff within the City as well as the 8 Townships and 2 First Nation Communities within the County of Peterborough to assist with client inquiries.
- Liaise with other Economic Development professionals outside our region to research and incorporate best practices for the Tourism and Conference planning sectors.
- Attend relevant business functions as a representative of PKED to build stronger connections with the regional business community and business leaders.
Lead Investment Attraction in Meetings, Conferences, Sports Tourism & Group Travel Sector: 20%
- Identify key market segments for group travel sector development and attraction to the region. Meet with potential clients to understand the purpose and scope of their meeting or event and provide solutions based on accommodation and services provided within the region.
- Lead the solicitation and bid process to attract identified group travel, meetings, conferences and sporting events in accordance with the sector plan and community stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain appropriate materials and packages to position Peterborough & the Kawarthas competitively with event planners and key stakeholders.
- Inspect venues to ensure that they meet the client’s requirements.
- Identify and attend trade shows associated with the Conference, group and sports tourism trade
- Follow up with conference organizers to find out and determine economic impact on the region.
- Connect film companies inquiring about the region to appropriate resources.
- Perform regular SWOT analysis to determine which key market segments to pursue as well as identify local challenges that are impacting the competitiveness of the region to attract desired group travel, sports tourism, meetings and conference opportunities.
Project Management: 20%
- Initiate and champion special projects in partnership with external organizations as required.
- Manage project life cycle activities:
o Define project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables in collaboration with project team and key stakeholders.
o Using Microsoft Teams Planner, schedule and track project activities, timelines, milestones and deliverables.
o As required, assist with selection process and onboarding of new staff to undertake project activities.
o As required, manage project staff to ensure deliverables are successfully achieved on time and within budget.
o Monitor and track project costs, schedules, resources, risks, issues and performance to ensure optimal success.
o Maintain regular communication with project team members.
o Regularly report project status to Director and stakeholders.
o Provide a final report and presentation on project results to Board of Directors and/or stakeholders as required.
o Meet all Funding Agreement requirements and complete final reports as required for projects funded by external organizations.
Prepare Analytical Reports 15%
- Prepare economic impact reports for each business retained or completing expansion within the region.
- Provide quarterly status updates for the corporations’ quarterly metrics reports to Councils.
- Assist clients with their retention and growth plans by providing statistical data as requested.
- Complete administrative tasks including but not limited to maintaining internal documentation
- Monitor program budgets and budget impacts for existing or proposed business initiatives
- Assist with completion of funding applications.
- Conform to all PKED Corporate policies and procedures as well as internal tracking systems.
- Create sector specific content in the development of the annual marketing and communications plan, presentations, website, publications, etc.
- Provide direction for marketing activities that promote project-based initiatives.
- Perform other related duties as required
Internal: Director of Tourism PKED Staff Internal committees
External: Business Owners Government Representatives
Regional Agencies City and County Council
City Planners Regional Boards and Committees
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge of the following (or the willingness and ability to obtain):
- Diploma or post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Tourism/Hospitality, or Economics, is required.
- Previous experience in a sales environment with proven success in growing sales, building relationships and meeting targets is required.
- Certification in Economic Development is an asset.
- Research experience including data collection management, analysis and reporting of findings is required.
- Competent computer skills, with solid understanding of Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Excel, and other MS Office products is required.
- Project management experience and use of Microsoft Planner is an asset.
- Above average keyboarding skills and ability to create Power Point presentations is necessary.
- Experience using a Customer Relation Management System (Synchronist) or similar experience with data entry is an asset.
- Valid Class G driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract with access to vehicle is required.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong networking and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication and presentation ability
- Strong collaborator and able to work effectively in group projects
- Sound decision-making and problem-solving ability
- Exceptional research and analytical ability
- Time management skill and ability to work under deadlines
- Ability to deal with frequent interruptions and competing priorities
- Exceptional attention to detail
Most work activities take place in a climate-controlled office environment. Regional travel will be required to meet with business owners and to attend networking events. Work activities require visual and mental concentration for intermediate durations of time. Standard office hours, Monday through Friday, with occasional extended hours for meeting or event attendance. Occasional lifting and carrying of items weighing less than 30 lbs (i.e. trade show booth materials).
Please send your application (PDF or Word document) to Barbara van Vierzen, Director of Operations at email@example.com by September 26, 2022.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process, but applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Thank-you to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.