Business Development, Communications and Strategic Initiatives Department
Director of Business Development, Communications and Strategic Initiatives
With a population of 32,000, Orillia is a sustainable and creative city that leverages its core strengths: a lively and historic downtown, exciting growth, and vibrant waterfronts along two lakes. Orillia is located one hour north of the GTA and offers affordable living alongside major employers like Lakehead University, Georgian College and the Ontario Provincial Police headquarters. Orillia offers an excellent quality of life with four-season recreation and cultural opportunities for every age including an impressive parks and trail system, festivals, galleries, music and live theatre. Located in the heart of Ontario’s Lake Country, Orillia is a great place to live, work and explore.
The City of Orillia has realigned functions across the organization and part of this process involved the creation of a new Department of Business Development, Communications and Strategic Initiatives. The Director of Business Development, Communications and Strategic Initiatives is a member of the City’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The Director is a results-oriented, progressive, innovative, and collaborative leader and is guided by the values of teamwork, respect and integrity.
As a strategic, innovative thinker with a sound knowledge of business development, who thrives in a results-oriented environment, you will develop and implement effective, measurable programs designed to attract business investment and promote economic growth. You will oversee the ongoing implementation and maintenance of an effective Business Retention and Expansion program as you actively network with current and potential commercial and industrial businesses, identifying retention and expansion opportunities, providing research and resources, and connecting contacts to relevant support programs and services offered by various levels of government and industry players.
Develop and implement a corporate communications strategy, identify issues and act as the expert resource for City staff and Council regarding the implementation of all communications requirements. Develop and implement the Tourism Strategy including branding and wayfinding, which includes implementing new methods to promote the City as a tourist destination in partnership with current area tourism partners.
Encourage change management, create and champion innovative ideas, support and generate organization and community initiatives. Monitor the implementation of the corporate strategic plan, related departmental objectives and actions, and alignment with key strategic priorities.
Create accountability framework and monitor results to ensure corporate performance objectives are being achieved.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field (e.g., business, economic development, communications, public administration)
- A minimum of 10 years progressive management experience is preferred, which includes five years direct senior managerial experience.
- Designations in Economic Development Certification (EcD.) or Accredited in Public Relations (APR) an asset.
Skill and Competencies
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, coaching, time management, strategic planning and management skills.
- Strong computer skills using MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, e-mail and the internet.
- Demonstrated understanding of municipal services and functions.
- Highly developed business planning skills with a proven track record for long-term visioning, planning and budgeting.
- Ability to work as team with others.
- Able to prioritize work, set goals and achieve objectives.
Compensation for this exempt position is $115,945 to $145,447, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume (MS Word or PDF Format) in confidence by February 7, 2020 at noon to:
Lori Bolton, CHRL, Director of Human Resources, City of Orillia
50 Andrew Street South, Suite 300,
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5
Email: email@example.com Fax: 705-325-5904
Please refer to the City’s website www.orillia.ca for the full job description.