Hello EDCO Community,
My name is Danielle Collins and I work for the Ontario Federation of Agriculture in economic development policy.
I’m looking for stories from communities across Ontario, and I want to hear yours!
I am putting together a catalogue of the many great things happening locally to support agriculture in Ontario. Please don’t hesitate to share – big or small.
Here’s examples of initiatives I’d like to hear about:
Examine Your Agricultural Community
- Do your research (e.g. ag census bulletin; asset mapping)
- Make a plan (e.g. ag/local food strategy)
- Investigate gaps and opportunities (e.g. food hub/abattoir feasibility studies)
Support Your Agricultural Community
- Develop incentives (e.g. Community Improvement Plans for ag/rural; funding programs)
- Hire a champion (e.g. hire an Agriculture and/or Food –focused staff person, I’d also love job descriptions if possible)
- Develop supportive policies (e.g. land use policies that support value-added ag, streamlined approval process)
Promote Your Agricultural Community
- Attract businesses (e.g. investment attraction and marketing initiatives)
- Brand your community (e.g. ag/food-related slogans and promotions)
- Promote taste of place (e.g. farm, food and beverage –themed trails, events)
Strengthen Your Agricultural Community
- Facilitate connections (e.g. value chain and local food procurement initiatives)
- Foster entrepreneurship (e.g. incubators, mentorship programs)
- Collaborate to boost impact (e.g. work with neighbouring municipalities, upper-/lower-tier collaborations)
These initiatives may be highlighted in upcoming presentations and future resources.
Please email me at email@example.com.
Agriculture Economic Development Policy
Ontario Federation of Agriculture
100 Stone Road West, Suite 206
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 5L3
(519) 821-8883 ext. 268